In rap music, a war of words is always more entertaining— and these 10 famous rap battles include some of the best tracks in rap music.
- LL Cool J vs. Canibus. Rap legend, LL Cool J, and up-and-coming rapper, Canibus, started this famous rap battle over a line Canibus wrote for his guest appearance on LL Cool J's song, “4,3,2,1.” Although Canibus eventually removed the reference to LL Cool J's microphone tattoo, the rap battle had just started. Canibus soon released the diss track, “Second Round K.O.” In response, LL Cool J released his own diss track, “The Ripper Strikes Back.”
- Nas vs. Jay-Z. This high-profile rap battle began way back in 1996 when Nas turned down an invitation to appear on Jay-Z's debut album, "Reasonable Doubt". Although the tension between these two rap heavyweights was thick, an official diss track was not released until 2001. This famous rap battle features the Nas song, “Ether”, where he calls Jay-Z a ballerina. Jay-Z responded with “SuperUgly.”
- Eminem vs. Benzino. This famous rap battle began with a poor album review for Eminem's "The Marshall Mathers LP". Benzino's publication, "The Source" only gave Eminem's latest album two mics out of a possible five. Eminem addressed his displeasure on the single “Without Me” on his next album, "The Eminem Show". This rap battle included diss tracks such as “Nail in the Coffin” and “Pull Your Skirt Up.”
- 50 Cent vs. The Game. Although The Game was supposed to be 50 Cent's rap protégé, this famous rap battle began shortly after The Game released his debut album. The Game released "300 Bars and Runnin", an extended diss track, after 50 Cent dismissed him from G-Unit.
- DMX vs. Ja Rule. Even though DMX and Ja Rule were once friends on the same Def Jam label, Ja Rule claimed DMX had been dissing him his whole career with tracks like "Do You". DMX recorded several diss tracks for this famous rap battle on his album "Grand Champ X". Ja Rule responded by recording a diss on his album "Blood in My Eye" .
- Tupac vs. Notorious B.I.G. Like some of the other famous rap battles, Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. were pretty good friends before making diss tracks toward one another. Shortly after Tupac was shot, Biggie released the track "Who Shot Ya," which Tupac believed was a diss toward him. Tupac struck back by making outright accusastions on the diss track, “Against All Odds.”
- Ice Cube vs. N.W.A. N.W.A. made a lot of money after being the first gangsta rap group to mainstream. As a result, Ice Cube felt he wasn't getting an equal cut of the money, and he was the first member of N.W.A. to leave the group. Shortly after leaving the group, he released the diss trck, “No Vaseline.” N.W.A. responded with “Real Niggaz.”
- Dr. Dre vs. Eazy-E. Shortly after Ice Cube left N.W.A., the money situation hadn't gotten any better and Dr. Dre followed suit by signing to Deathrow Records. “Dre Day” is a diss track from his debut album. “Real Muthaphukkin G's”, was Eazy-E's response, in which he noted the fact that Dr. Dre was still under contract with Eazy-E.
- Roxanne Shante vs. U.T.F.O. One of the first ever rap battles, this famous rap beef started innocently with a song by U.T.F.O. titled, “Roxanne, Roxanne.” When the group canceled an unrelated concert appearance, 14-year-old Roxanne Shante offered to write a diss record, “Roxanne's Revenge.”
- Nicki Minaj vs. Lil' Kim. The most recent of these famous rap battles, it all started when Lil' Kim called Nicki Minaj disrespectful for taking her style. Nicki Minaj then released the diss track “Roman's Revenge,” from her "Pink Friday" album. Lil' Kim responded with the diss track, “Black Friday.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…