10 Most Popular '80s Actors
Are you wondering who the 10 most popular '80s actors were? There were so many great movies that came out during that decade and many memorable men. Whether you like action heroes, teen movies or comedies, the '80s had a lot of great films that are impossible to reproduce. So who were the most popular '80s actors of those memorable movies? Let's see if you can guess them all!
- Harrison Ford: He was a simple carpenter who came out of nowhere and, yet, he managed to be one of the most popular '80s actors of all time. Playing legendary roles like Han Solo (from "Star Wars") and Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford had the ability to draw the viewer right in and make them part of the movie.
- Michael J. Fox: If you were wondering who some of the most popular '80s actors on TV were, the top of the list would definitely have to be reserved for Michael J. Fox. Playing the role of Alex P. Keaton in the hit comedy "Family Ties," he later went on to star in many iconic '80s films, including "Back to the Future" and "Teen Wolf."
- Tom Cruise: Not only was he one of the most popular '80s actors of all time, he was considered one of the sexiest. Starring in decade definers like "Top Gun" and "Risky Business," who could blame his fans for thinking he was hot stuff?
- Andrew McCarthy: With his sweet boy-next-door good looks and quiet demeanor, Andrew McCarthey was one of the top choices for male leads during the decade. As a member of "The Brat Pack," Andrew McCarthy starred in notable movies such as "St. Elmo's Fire," "Pretty In Pink" and "Weekend At Bernie's."
- Rob Lowe: Considered to be one of the hottest members of the infamous "Brat Pack," Rob Lowe starred in many popular '80s movies like "The Outsiders" and "St. Elmo's Fire." He was one of the most popular '80s actors until a video tape scandal and a series of flops tarnished his appeal.
- Patrick Swayze: One of the most beloved '80s actors was the late Patrick Swayze. First gaining recognition as the older Curtis brother in "The Outsiders," he then went on to "Red Dawn" and the surprise hit, "Dirty Dancing." Swayze passed away in 2009 after a difficult battle with pancreatic cancer.
- Kevin Bacon: While he appeared in several movies prior, it was "Footloose" that launched Kevin Bacon's '80s super star status and place him on our list of 10 most popular '80s actors. Who could forget the teenager, stranded in the strange small town where rock music and dancing was outlawed?
- Tom Hanks: Starring in such notable films as "Splash" and "The Burbs," Tom Hanks had an endearing quality that made him instantly likeable. His biggest hit of the '80s was the popular body-swapping film, "Big."
- Mel Gibson: One of the most popular '80s actors, who continues to make headlines today, is Mel Gibson. Gaining recognition for "The Road Warrior" and "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," he was originally labeled an action movie actor, but later branched out into comedy, drama and even went on to produce.
River Phoenix: The late River Phoenix finishes our list of most popular '80s actors. Best known for his performances in "Explorers," "Stand By Me" and "Running On Empty," he also had the opportunity to play young Indiana Jones in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Sadly, Phoenix's acting career was cut short when he overdosed on drugs and passed away in 1993. He was only 23.