While the definition of "rock song" can be pretty subjective, these 10 most popular 80's rock songs are the highest-ranked 80's songs on Billboard's 50th Anniversary list of the most popular rock songs of the last fifty years.
- "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor. This 1982 hit from the movie "Rocky" ensured that no future sports montage would be complete without an accompanying motivational rock song.
- "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. This 1983 song, along with Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," tops the list of Most Inappropriate Songs Regularly Mistaken for Love Songs.
- "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen. Not only did this song do insanely well on Billboard rock charts, but it's also Queen's best selling single of all time.
- "Call Me" by Blondie. Stevie Nicks reportedly was asked to record this 1980 rock song for "American Gigalo," but she turned it down. Thankfully.
- "Centerfold" by The J. Geils Band. It's an age-old love story. Boy meets girl. Boy loses touch with girl. Boy sees girl in a centerfold. It's the modern-day "Romeo and Juliet," really.
- "(Just Like) Starting Over" by John Lennon. Though most Beatles fans prefer to pretend John Lennon never met Yoko Ono and left the Beatles, this 1980 hit song proves otherwise.
- "I Love Rock 'n Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Previously recorded by The Arrows in the seventies, this song floundered until Joan Jett re-recorded this rock anthem in 1982.
- "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band. While "Abra, Abracadabra/ I want to reach out and grab ya" may not be the most genius lyrics of the 80's, this song still made a huge splash on the 1982 Billboard charts.
- "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner. Foreigner ruled 80's airwaves with hits like "Double Vision" and "I Want to Know What Love Is," but it's the power ballad "Waiting for a Girl Like You" that did the best on Billboard rock charts.
- "Hurts So Good" by John Mellancamp. First, he was John Cougar. Then he became John Mellancamp. Occasionally, he's John Cougar Mellancamp. Whoever he is, this 1982 single was one of the most popular 80's rock songs of the decade.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.