No one man can easily determine the 10 most popular rock songs of all time. Fortunately for you, one man is going to try. When striving for a list of the 10 most popular rock songs, one must first find an objective measure of popularity. So, here are the 10 most popular rock songs of the first 50 years of the Billboard Hot 100, according to the popularity smiths at Billboard Magazine. These aren't all good songs, but they are the 10 most popular rock songs.
- "Smooth" Santana feat. Rob Thomas This song is closely associated in the hearts and minds of most Americans with being driven to soccer practice in a van. It's catchy without being satisfying, and so unobjectionable that even hardcore music snobs probably couldn't muster more than a sentence or two (plus a scowl) about it. So, of course it's one of the most popular rock songs of all time!
- "Hey Jude" The Beatles Hey, wouldn't it be funny if instead of acknowledging the obvious fact that The Beatles are the most popular rock band of all time, we pretended they were some kind of obscure oddity? Like, we could go "you probably haven't heard of The Beatles, so you're a little shocked to find their song 'Hey Jude' at number 2 on the list of most popular rock songs." Hilarious!
- "Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)" Rod Stewart Just let him have this one thing, you guys.
- "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" Bryan Adams Pushing the boundaries of what constitutes "rock," Bryan Adams comes in at number four on the list of most popular rock songs of all time. For all you hipsters reading this, – this one's good for an ironic serenade or two, probably.
- "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor This song, most famous for inspiring the "Weird" Al parody "Rye or the Kaiser," is easily one of the most popular rock songs of all time. People must really like songs that aren't very good from movies that aren't very good.
- "Every Breath You Take" The Police This song about intrusive government surveillance and voyeurism has been widely misinterpreted as an ode to romantic devotion. It achieved the status of one of the most popular rock songs of all time even before it was run through the Didderizer. Uh huh, yeah.
- "Silly Love Songs" Wings Oh, maybe you've heard of this one. It's by the band Wings? You know, a little band called Wings?? Wings.
- "Another One Bites The Dust" Queen Many of the most popular rock songs of all time have become so famous that it seems like everyone knows them by heart. This would be one of those. It seems to be a popular choice among literal-minded TV and film directors, which no-doubt lends to its massive popularity.
- "How You Remind Me" Nickelback Who wouldn't want to listen to Nickelback?? (Everyone)
- "I Want To Hold Your Hand" The Beatles This is exactly the kind of sexually perverted filth that makes a song one of the most popular rock songs of all time. There was a time when talk of hand-holding was restricted to late-night brothels and speakeasies. It was a different time, and no one had ever even heard of Nickelback!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?