"The Lion King," "The Little Mermaid" or "Toy Story" would never be considered one of the 10 most underrated Disney movies, though there are several that are quite underappreciated. In 1934, Disney produced their first full-length feature film called “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” and has become a favorite of all ages throughout the years. When you think of Disney movies, the main animated ones normally come to mind, though there are several underrated Disney movies that are well worth watching and may not be getting the credit they deserve. There are ten of the many wonderful Disney animated movies listed below that would be considered less appreciated, but excellent productions.
- “The Sword in the Stone” Primarily an animated fantasy with a bit of comedy thrown into the feature, the Merlin and Arthur characters loosely adapt the novel of the exact name. This movie was introduced in 1963 and was the last feature to be released before Walt Disney passed.
- “A Goofy Movie” An underrated character of decades, Goofy finally got his very own movie in 1995. With the clumsy big feet and charming personality, no one is more deserving to be on this list. Starring the children of Goofy, it is sure to be one favorite of every Goofy fan.
- “Oliver and Company” The small, furry and orange Oliver,and his friends bring the Charles Dickens novel to life with the Disney adaptation of “Oliver Twist.” Created in 1988, the city streets that Oliver and Fagin’s gang of dogs have to endure contribute to this underrated Disney movie.
- “The Rescuers” An American feature that was produced in 1977 tells a tale of an international organization called the Rescue Aid Society where the international mouse alliance helps abducted victims. Eva Gabor, Bob Newhart and Geraldine Page lend their talented voices to this underrated Disney movies.
- “Pocahontas” Made in 1995, this Disney production was extremely popular at the time. Even winning an Academy Award for Best Original Score, "Pocahontas" has been forgotten over the years, yet continues to make the underrated Disney movies list.
- “The Black Cauldron” Welsh mythology is the theme of Disney’s animated fantasy film and centers about an evil villain trying to rule the entire world. Luckily, Princess Eilonwy, Gurgi, Fflewddur Fflam and Taran are just the heroes to stop him.
- “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” This Disney film is one of the underrated movies that is not fully animated. Touchstone Pictures released the movie in 1988 and involves mixing some live action into the comedy-fantasy-mystery film where the cartoon characters are able to interact in the human world to investigate a murder.
- “The Great Mouse Detective” Walt Disney Pictures released this animated feature in 1986 drawing on the Sherlock Holmes tradition of mystery solving. The characters are all rats and mice that live in London and based on the Eve Titus book series for children named “Basil of Baker Street.”
- “Mulan” One of the best animated features to make the underrated Disney movies list is the tale of the ancient Chinese legend of Mulan. A heroic young girl joins the army in her elderly father’s place among all male soldiers she must try to fit in. With the voices of Ming-Na and Eddie Murphy, along with the intense Chinese cultural inspiration, this movie is a must-see.
- ”Treasure Planet” This science-fiction adaptation of the adventure novel by Robert Louis Stevenson “Treasure Island” was released in 2002. Even though it had good movie reviews, the animated film is one of the underrated Disney movies that didn’t fare well at the box office.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!