The 10 most valuable collector cars depend on the passion of collectors at any given auction. The value of any car fluctuates over time. As one car sells at record prices, collectors and investors make a point of hunting down the same model for restoration. Despite this mania for collecting the antique super cars, there are a handful of cars that continue to hold value.
- Bugatti. Any Bugatti brings big bucks at auction, but the rare models or the earliest cars made by Dr. Harold Carr bring major bucks. Find a 1929 to 1937 model for a vintage treasure from the first garage operation. Only three Bugatti Royale models were sold from 1929 to 1931 and if you can find one that won important road races, it's not only one of the most valuable antique collector cars, it rockets off the charts of collectibility.
- Ferrari. Rare models such as the 1957 Testarosa limited edition are valuable, but find a racer that won Grand Prix and it moves up the chart on the ten most valuable antique collector car list. Keep your eyes open for a Ferrari 250 GTO. It follows the Bugatti Royale as the most expensive car sold at auction. The 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Cabriolet Pinnfarina SWB is another classic by the company.
- Rolls-Royce Phantoms. Find a "Star of India" limited production model or a car once owned by a famous head of state and you've purchased a car on the most valuable antique collector car. No need to be picky, an "All Weather" model or the "Special Town Car" will do nicely.
- Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake made in 1966. Only two cars were ever made and one was driven by Mr. Carroll Shelby for his own use. Super Snakes were offered from 1962 and 1968 in limited numbers. Car lore has it that one of the two cars was totaled, killing its driver, so if you're a Cobra fan, it's pretty slim pickings for this model.
- Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster. This 1930s car is a classic features a supercharger that could boost power from the engine by more than 50 percent. For an exclusive model, hunt down a long-tail style with a single spare tire embedded into the rear deck.
- Hurst GeeTO Tiger from 1965. Hurst, Pontiac, and Petersen Publishing combined talents to market the 1965 GTO to new drivers. A song by "The Tigers" penned with the use of "tiger" over 40 times was distributed at drag meets and car shows. The flip side was the sound of the new GTO cornering, accelerating and braking. A contest ran though the spring and summer asking entrants to name the number of times "tiger" was used in the song, fill out an entry form and write an essay on why the car should be delivered to the entrant's driveway. Only was car was given away: A special model "GeeTO" with gold-plated shifter, mag wheels and metallic gold paint. Funky car for the time and today one of the ten most valuable antique collector cars.
- Barracuda Hemi Convertible muscle car. Look for the late 1960s and early 1970s Plymouth 'Cuda models.
- ZL-1 Camaros from 1969. This all-aluminum engine is muscle car city that was a special order car, known as a COPO car. That was the dealer term for the "Central Office Production Order." Pick up one of these and you've snagged one of the ten most valuable antique collector cars.
- Maserati Tipo 60/61. This race car known as the "Birdcage," ranks high on the top ten most valuable antique collector car list. Although the car was made prior to the 60/61 model, this one is the most sought-after race car model.
- BMW 328 MM Buegelfalte 1937 race car. This BMW is another hand-tailored motor car with a rich racing history that tops the ten most valuable antique collector cars list.
Cromer, Colin. "Million-Dollar Muscle Cars." Motorbooks, 2007.
Museum, Design. "Fifty Cars That Changed the World." Conran, 2010.
Adler, Dennis. "The Art of the Automobile." William Morrow, 2000.
Cotter, Tom. "Cobra in the Barn." Motorbooks, 2005.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.