Have you ever wondered what are the 10 most violent mafia movies of all time? Everyone likes mobster movies, but what ones really bring the true violent nature of this dark world to the surface? Grab some popcorn, kick up your feet and join us as we take a look at the 10 most violent mafia movies.
- "The Godfather" – You can't have a list of great mafia movies without including the 1974 classic, "The Godfather." While any of the movies from this series could easily shine in our list of the most violent mafia movies of all time, the original wins its place here, not only for outright violence but also for the more subtle violence and the threatening undercurrents. Starring Al Pacino and Marlon Brando, this is a must see for any mafia movie fan.
- "Goodfellas" – Another of the greatest mafia movies of all time is the 1990 classic "Goodfellas." One of the best violent mafia movies to date, it chronicles the rise of Henry Hill through the violent mob hierarchy. Joe Pesci won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in this film that also stars Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta.
- "White Heat" – While you didn't have the special effects that we have now, there is still something darkly disturbing about the 1949 violent mob movie "White Heat." James Cagney shines as a sadistic psychopath with an unnatural fixation with his mother. It may seem a bit outdated, but this is a classic that's not to be missed.
- "Eastern Promises" – Rape, prostitution and murder permeate "Eastern Promises," one of the most violent mafia movies about the Russian mafia. After a pregnant Russian teenager dies during childbirth, her diary reveals how she was raped and forced to work in the Russian mafia's brothel when she was only 14 years old.
- "Boondock Saints" – If you're looking for one of the most violent mafia movies that finds the Russian mob under attack, you'll want to check out "Boondock Saints." Two brothers turn vigilante and take on the Russians in this violent mafia film starring Willem Dafoe, Billy Connolly, Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus.
- "Gotti" – Chronicling the rise and fall of real life mafia don, John Gotti, this made-for-tv mob movie is a classic. Considered one of the best mafia movies of all time, it's known for it's graphic violence, but also for the subtle threat and influence of a powerful mafia don. If you like violent mafia movies, don't bypass this one just because it was a TV movie. It's definitely worth watching.
- "King of New York" – While this centers more on drug lords than actual mafia crime families (they're there in the background, don't worry), we can't have a list of violent mafia movies and forget to add "King of New York" in here somewhere. Dark, gritty and ultra-violent, Christopher Walken shines in this modern twist on the classic Robin Hood tale.
- "Valachi Papers" – A mixture of fact and fiction turns the classic violent mafia film "Valachi Papers" into a creepy and horrific masterpiece. If you enjoy violent mafia movies, check this one out. Starring Charles Bronson, it's a must-see if you're a fan of this classic action film star.
- "The Departed" – One of the more recent brutally violent mafia movies in our list is the 2006 hit movie "The Departed." Winning 4 Oscars, this tale revolving around the Irish mafia boasts some big-name actors including Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Martin Sheen.
- "Scarface" – Rounding out our list of the most violent mafia movies of all time, we have to include the classic movie "Scarface." While it's actually a tale about Cuban drug lords, it's commonly lumped in with mafia movies and it's known for its graphic violence and intensity. It may not be a bona fide mobster movie, but be adventuresome and give it a watch.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.