If you're stumped for ideas this Halloween season, try one of these 10 movie character costume ideas. Whether you're a fan of horror flicks, comedies or the latest action films, there are many different costume ideas based on movie character to choose from. Here are some that are not only fun and easy to make, but they're also easy on your wallet.
- A "Twilight" or "True Blood" vampire is a sure hit for upcoming costume parties. Vampires are always popular movie character-based costume ideas, but the recent popularity of the teenage "Twilight" vampires and bayou bloodsuckers from "True Blood" give things a whole new twist. Instead of having to don some cape and pointy shoes, you can either go Civil War-era or modern-teenage-heartthrob-who-lacks-a-tan. Wear whatever you like, toss on a little pale face-paint and you're good to go.
- "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" lets you recycle parts of your old Napoleon Dynamite costume. This is one of the easier movie character costumes to come up with, since you simply have to dress as a retro college student with a little geek on the side. For a laugh, try gender-bending and go as Ramona with a colored bob wig.
- Balthazar Blake from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a grungy-yet-sexy costume idea. Never has a worn leather duster, a beat-up fedora and a ratty wig looked so good (oh, and don't forget some old-man shoes, too). You could always go as his apprentice, but the costume wouldn't be as cool and, if you're already going to nerd it, you might as well go with Scott Pilgrim.
- A victim from "Pirhana 3D." This makes for one of the more interesting movie character costume ideas, but it will at least require a degree of interest in special effects. Fortunately, one can buy latex wounds fairly inexpensively these days. Just apply a dab of adhesive and you too can be half-eaten fish food.
- I love it when a plan comes together. Hannibal, Face, B.A. Baracus or Howling Mad Murdock from the A-Team all make great retro movie character costume ideas for Halloween. Of course, this works even better for those who have a big black van, too. It would look rather awkward to see big old B.A. stepping out of a Smart car.
- One, two, Freddie's comin' for you. Freddie Krueger has always been one of those great classic costume ideas, but he's been freshened up a bit, thanks to the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot. Now, Freddie fans can dig out their favorite ratty sweaters and prepare to make insomniacs of all the little kiddies. Don't go to sleep!
- Zombies are always fun and easy. This year's horror film, "Survival of the Dead," gives the horror classic a little bit of a face-lift and spruces up the classic Halloween costume by keeping zombies oh-so-fashionable. Smear some charcoal on your face, grind some leaves in your hair, stumble about and moan "Braaaaains." Just don't expect to hook up with any hot girls in this get-up.
- Ever wanted to play Robin Hood, but were afraid of the tights? Manly-man Russell Crowe makes Robin Hood macho and exciting. What's even better is that you can take your Robin Hood costume and wear it to the local Renaissance Faire when it comes to town. Robin Hood makes for one of the best movie character-inspired costumes because the costume is not only macho and sexy, it's also recyclable.
- How about a sexy greaser with a rockabilly hairstyle? "Grease" is back in town, opening up Halloween options to dress as Danny or one of the T-Birds. This is probably one of the easiest movie character costumes to pull off, requiring little more than a white T-shirt, some jeans and a lot of hair grease.
- Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" is a win if you're looking for cult movie costume ideas. A white jump-suit, a bowler hat and a cane and you're good to go. Of course, it usually helps if you know a little of the slang from the movie. "No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.