To daydream about summer, all you need to do is watch one of these best 10 movies about the beach. They're fun, and they set the tone for the kind of magic that can be sparked at a beautiful beach location, whether on the shores of the east or west coast—or someplace more exotic. Enjoy reflecting on these films and pick some to add to your summer screenings.
- "Beach Party" This is a little film that started a mini-genre, the "beach movie," in the 1960s. It starred Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon. They would go on to star in several successful sequels to this film.
- "Gidget" This is another beach movie of the same era. It's irresistible fun, as it follows the adventures of a—gasp—girl surfer. She's charming and fun to watch, and she's played with ease by Sandra Dee.
- "A Summer Place" This beach movie also stars Sandra Dee. However, it was filmed a few years later, and it dwells on much darker themes, such as adultery and teenage pregnancy. It has a gorgeous soundtrack, which you would know from hearing a few bars, and it is set against an ideal beach backdrop.
"The Blue Lagoon" This film was a daring movie for 1980, when it was made. Set on an island, much of the movie is about the beach. It stars Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins, and it's the story of a natural love that occurs between two people who were shipwrecked on an island together as children, yet manage to thrive on its blessings.
- "Beaches" This is a remarkable movie. It's the ultimate slumber party and girls' night out movie, yet it's a tearjerker. It tells the story of a life-long friendship.
- "Girl Happy" This was an Elvis Presley movie with a beach setting. It is as fun and carefree as the "Beach Party" series of movies, and it has some great singing and dancing.
- "Splash" This film is a unique romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks. He stars as an average Joe whose life is forever changed when he meets a girl on the beach who has just become human. She was formerly a mermaid. Her name becomes Madison, and it becomes a love story.
- "Grease" This classic makes the list for its remarkable beach beauty opening. The scenes are immortalized later in the song "Summer Nights." The footage of Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta falling in love on the beach set to "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing" is a part of cinematic history.
- "Back to the Beach" This film is a beach movie that features Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon. Yet, it's the story of what happened to those characters many years later. Set in 1987, it picks up where that series of movies left off. Also starring a young Lori Loughlin, it's an unforgettable beach romp of a film.
- "Nights in Rodanthe" This is another beautiful beach movie. It's a story of love and the importance of waiting for your true love. The beach scenes will have you longing to escape to Rodanthe yourself.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …