The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made the right choice in nominating these 10 Oscar-nominated inspirational movies. Some movies have a little something extra that tugs at the heart and it is that quality that takes them over the top.
- "Rocky" (1976)- A film about a down on his luck, part time boxer who rises to the top through dedication and hard work, climaxing in the big fight with the reigning champion.
- "Chariots of Fire" (1981)- This movie's theme has become the most recognizable inspirational theme of all time. It is based on a true story about two men who run in the Olympics. One is a tortured Jewish college student from England who seems to run for prestige, the other a Scottish missionary who's love for running and natural ability awe and inspire many.
- "Forrest Gump" (1994)- This movie is also based on a true story. It is about a young man who is a little slower than most, but who has some deep insight into life. He sits on a park bench and tells his story to a long string of people while waiting for his bus. His story goes from childhood when he used to wear leg braces, to fighting in the Vietnam War, and finally owning a very successful shrimping business.
- "The Passion of the Christ" (2004)- This movie caused a lot of controversy when it was released. But in spite of all that, Mel Gibson did a masterful job directing, and Jim Caviezel did some of the best acting of his career. It definitely touches the heart with strong character development and cinematography.
- "Star Wars Trilogy" (1977), (1980), (1983)- These movies were the first of their kind. The stories themselves are inspirational, as well as the story of how the films were made giving rise to the era of epic films.
- "Seabiscuit" (2003)- A film about a great racehorse during the depression and the lives of the people around him. This movie also features a very inspirational score.
- "Glory" (1989)- A movie about an all black regiment in the Civil War, based on actual events. Their bravery and courage are depicted well in this movie starring Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman and Matthew Broderick.
- "It's A Wonderful Life" (1946)- This movie has remained popular since it's release just after World War Two. It is a movie about how one man's life affects the lives of those around him for better or for worse. The main character is given the chance to see what the world would be like if he had never been born.
- "Up" (2009)- This Pixar film may be marketed for children, but it is definitely enjoyable for adults as well. Full of funny, and touching moments, this one tugs at the heart strings.
- "Braveheart" (1995)- A list of inspirational films could not exclude this movie. One of the first films directed by Mel Gibson, who also stars in the movie, it is based on an actual hero of Scotland. William Wallace was a freedom fighter and was instrumental in Scotland breaking free from Edward the Longshanks tyrannical rule.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …