Here is a list of 10 overweight actors. Overweight actors have always been the object of ridicule. Some use their obesity to make comic movies, throwing their weight around like a giant sight gag. Other actors let their weight get out of control and continued to perform regardless of their size. Some are Oscar winners and others has passed on, but these ten men are some of the most famous overweight actors of their time.
- Marlon Brando – It is easy to call Marlon Brando the greatest overweight actor in the history of cinema because he is, arguably, one of the greatest actors period. He started his career as a sex symbol but, by the time he appeared in “Godfather” and “Apocalypse Now,” his weight had ballooned out of control.
- Orson Welles – Orson Welles directed the movie most people consider the best of all time in “Citizen Kane.” By the time he died in 1985, the overweight actor was barely recognizable as the same man who starred in “Touch of Evil.”
- John Candy – John Candy is one of the tragic cases where an overweight actor’s life was cut short due to his weight problems. He starred in a number of classic comedies in his life like “Stripes,” “Spaceballs” and “Uncle Buck.” He died of a heart attack in his sleep at the age of 43.
- Chris Farley – Chris Farley is a comic actor who followed in the footsteps of fellow overweight actors John Candy and John Belushi. Tragically, he also died young, just as his idols did. The comic star weighed 296-pounds when he died of a drug overdose thanks to heart disease.
- Jack Black – Jack Black parlayed his talents as a comedian and musician into a very successful movie career. The overweight actor stars in comedies like “Tropic Thunder” and animated hits like “Kung Fu Panda,” usually using his weight as a running gag.
- Jonah Hill – Jonah Hill is a younger actor, working mainly with Judd Apatow’s productions. He is stepping into the role of a younger Seth Rogan type of character in movies like “Superbad” and “Get Him to the Greek.”
- Kevin James – Kevin James made a name for himself on the television series “The King of Queens.” The overweight actor has since parlayed that into a movie career with hit films like “I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry” and “Paul Blart: Mall Cop.”
- Nick Frost – British funnyman Nick Frost has so far made a career out of playing the overweight friend of fellow comic actor Simon Pegg. The overweight actor has appeared in cult hits “Shaun of the Dead” and “Hot Fuzz.”
- Ethan Suplee – Ethan Suplee has gone from being one of Kevin Smith’s core actors to a fairly decent overweight actor in his own right. Suplee originally appeared in Smith movies like “Chasing Amy” and “Mallrats” but broke out on the television show “My Name is Earl.”
- Jorge Garcia – Jorge Garcia is the mountain of a man who played Hurley on the television hit “Lost.” While Garcia has not broken out in anything but the television show, he is gaining popularity and his face adorns the cover of the 2010 CD by rock band Weezer.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …