Finding 10 places to travel on a budget in Kansas is easy because Kansas offers a diverse selection of inexpensive activities. Travel in the footsteps of countless cowboys, take a look at some bison, visit countless museums and sojourn through the Flint Hills-all on a budget.
- Dodge City, Kansas. Filled with the flavor of the Old West, Dodge City offers sublime entertainment and good eats while travelling on a budget. Spend the day at the Boot Hill Museum for only $7.50 per person. You’ll find lots to see and do at this engrossing museum filled with the sights, sounds and food of the Old West. After you are done, visit the Gunfighters Wax Museum for only $3 per person and view wax representations of some of the most famous gunfighters in history. After visiting the museum, get a steak of Kansas beef at a reasonable price in one of the many Dodge City steakhouses. Bed down at the Boot Hill Bed and Breakfast, and get the Matt Dillon Suite for around $175 a night.
- Wichita, Kansas. Tour Old Town and find plenty of cheap booze and food. View life on the frontier at Old Cowtown Museum, where adults get in for just $7.75.
- Hutchinson, Kansas. Another great place for budget travel in Kansas would be Hutchinson, where you’ll want to stop at the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center. Buy a $15 all-day pass at the Cosmosphere and gain access to the Hall of Space museum plus one planetarium show, one Dr. Goddard’s laboratory show and one IMAX film admission. Visit the Underground Salt Museum for $14.35 per person and treat yourself to a one-of-a-kind experience. Lodging in Hutchinson is reasonably priced, too. Stay at the Grand Prairie Hotel and Convention Center for around $70 per night, and let the kids play at the indoor waterpark.
- Kansas City, Kansas. Stop by the T-Rex restaurant and have a burger while you view life-sized dinosaur models. In the summer, make a point to stop by the Great American Barbeque and enjoy the great food and fun activities – gate admission is only $10 for adults.
- Lawrence, Kansas. Stop by the University of Kansas Natural History Museum, the Spencer Museum of Art, and take a stroll down Massachusetts Street to find historical buildings, sidewalk cafés, antique boutiques and art galleries. Enjoy the street music, cheap eats and budget-friendly lodging in Lawrence, too.
- Leavenworth, Kansas. Add Leavenworth, Kansas to your top 10 budget friendly Kansas stops. In Leavenworth, you’ll enjoy seeing historical homes and a wealth of historical sites, all for low budget-friendly prices. Have a soda at the Old-Time Soda Fountain. Stay in the Kansas room at the Prairie Queen’s Rooms for only $134 per night.
- Manhattan, Kansas. Dubbed the “Little Apple”, Manhattan, Kansas is definitely a must-see and budget-friendly Kansas destinations. A college town, home to the Kansas State University, Manhattan hosts many sports events throughout the year. With many avenues for community and visual arts, all at budget friendly prices, visitors will have a great time exploring this Kansas destination.
- Salina, Kansas. Home to the Salina Art Center, the Smoky Hill Museum, Yesteryear Museum, Smoky Hill Bison Company and Smoky Hill River Festival. Admission to the Smoky Hill Museum is free, as are the guided tours there. Attend live music performances, with no admission charge, at the Smoky Hill River Festival, held each year in June. Peruse the goods at the Smokey Hill Bison Company Visitor's Center, where you can buy buffalo products for reasonable prices while catching a glimpse of the buffalo roaming the farm.
- Topeka, Kansas. Visit the Kansas Museum of History for just $5. If you visit in April, do the Tulip Time Tour at the Old Prairie Town at Ward-Meade Historic Site for another $5. Spend the night at the unique MuleSkinner Lodge for only $125.
- Nickerson, Kansas. For small town flavor with a quirky twist stay at Hedrick’s Animal Farm and Bed and Breakfast. For around $100, you can eat, sleep and interact with some exotic animals including zebras, ostriches, giraffes and more.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.