If you want to find 10 places to travel on a budget, Texas might have what you are looking for. In a state as big as Texas, there is something to see and do around every bend. From bustling cities to sunny beaches to scenic countryside, Texas is "like a whole other country." You don’t have to spend a lot of money to make the most of your Texas vacation. While cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are the most popular vacation spots in the state, the places in-between usually cost much less and provide the best travel experiences. To get the biggest bang for your travel buck, consider one of the following towns for your next Lone Star vacation.
- Bastrop – Just a short drive from Austin, Bastrop is a central Texas town on the Colorado River. Attractions include two museums and an historic opera house. Visitors can take a self-guided tour of more than 130 historic homes and buildings, or stroll on the Riverwalk. Bastrop is home to several excellent restaurants, specialty shops, great golfing, and outdoor activities at Bastrop State Park and McKinney Roughs.
- Canyon – For an Old West adventure, "hang your hat" in Canyon, the gateway to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. This town is home to the outdoor musical "TEXAS," the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, and 24 historical sites. Located just south of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle, Canyon claims a rich cattle ranching history and a heritage built on pioneer spirit.
- Fredericksburg – As the locals say, "Wilkommen to Fredericksburg," a charming Hill Country town rich in German heritage. Activities include museums, an historic district, a wildflower farm, a living history farm, vineyards and wineries, live music, scenic drives, golfing, and more.
- Galveston – Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn Waterpark are just two popular tourist attractions in Galveston. A popular resort destination, Galveston Island offers a wealth of activities, entertainment, shopping, and more than thirty miles of Gulf Coast beaches. The town is also home to several historic homes, buildings, and museums.
- Granbury – If outdoor recreation is what you want, Lake Granbury offers plenty of that. But this North Texas town just outside of Fort Worth is also famous for its historic attractions, antiques, specialty shops, wineries, and artist and artisan communities.
- New Braunfels – Deep in the heart of the Hill Country, New Braunfels is filled with old-world heritage and small town charm. The town is home to some great museums, historic districts, and performing arts. For outdoor fun in the sun, visit Schlitterbahn Waterpark or the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers.
- Port Aransas – "Beautiful beaches, vibrant views, and relaxing retreats" is the tagline for this small coastal city. Port Aransas is a great vacation spot for fishing, birding, beach strolls, and family fun on a budget. Located on the northern tip of Mustang Island, the town offers a wealth of daytime activities and tropical nightlife.
- Port Isabel – One of the oldest towns in South Texas, Port Isabel is located near South Padre Island in the Gulf of Mexico. The town’s deep history dates to the Spanish explorers in the early 1500s. Port Isabel is home to three world-class museums that highlight the town’s heritage and the maritime history of the Laguna Madre area.
- San Marcos – This Hill Country town, located between Austin and San Antonio, is one of the Lone Star state’s most popular tourist destinations. San Marcos offers a rich array of shopping, dining, arts, and entertainment. Wonder World Park, Aquarena Center, and the San Marcos River are just a few of the many attractions.
- Wimberley – This little Hill Country village is one of America’s best small towns. Wimberley is home to specialty shops, restaurants, live theater, site-seeing, and outdoor activities like camping, swimming, and hiking.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.