10 Places to Travel on a Budget: Washington
These 10 places to travel on a budget in Washington are all beautiful and easily accessible on any budget. This great northwestern state has something to offer everybody, year-round. There are oceans, rivers, mountains, deserts, cities and small towns to enjoy throughout Washington.
- Whidbey and Camanos Islands. Located just one hour north of Seattle, Washington, these islands are truly a scenic wonder. The area boasts small seaside towns, art galleries, budget-friendly lodging, whale and wildlife watching, tours and a number of other activities. The islands can be accessed by ferry or by driving.
- Seattle. Downtown Seattle is aesthetic and functional. The diversity of the city is what makes it so unique. Seattle has many great sights to see, such as the world famous Pike's Place Market, the Space Needle, the Seattle Waterfront, Pioneer Square and China Town. There are many choices for lodging, eating, night life, shopping and entertainment on any budget.
- Blake Island. This island is a state park and home of Seattle's famous Salmon Bake at Tillicum Village. There is a 45-minute narrated cruise with Argosy Tours that gets guests to the island. Upon arrival, guests are greeted with an appetizer of steamed clams. The price for adults is $79.95, and that includes all taxes, the narrated tour, a meal and entertainment.
- Columbia River Gorge. Famous for windsurfing, camping and rock climbing, Columbia River Gorge is a true gem in Washington. It is a massive river canyon that cuts through the Cascade Mountains. It is also home to the Gorge Amphitheater in George, Washington, where concerts take place year round. For the budget-minded, there are plenty of campsites and inexpensive hotels during the off season.
- Cascade Loop. This is a 440-mile loop that circles the heart of Washington. It is a self-guided tour, so travelers can take their time and create their own itinerary. The loop passes mountains, waterways, high desert, small towns, wineries, islands and much more. Along the way are campsites, motels and RV sites, so there is a little something for everyone.
- Mount Vernon. Tour the home of George Washington, walk the grounds, see reenactments and take informational tours to learn about the first president. Mount Vernon has a long and rich history. There are great restaurants, museums, parks and tours in this town. Close by is the local lake for fishing and boating and more of Washington's finest wineries. A great place to travel on a budget.
- Mount Rainier National Park. Also known as Mount Tahoma, this national park is a true wonder. The small town of Paradise on the volcano is a great starting point for hikes, nature walks and sightseeing. Paradise has a lodge, restaurant, deli, gift shop and visitors center for guests. Mount Rainier is the most heavily glaciered peak in the lower 48 states. The park is great for a day trip or weekend budget getaway.
- Walla Walla. "A town so nice they named it twice" is the motto of Walla Walla. This town is known as Washington's own wine country. It is located in the southeast region of the state. It is also famous for the Walla Walla sweet onions that come out seasonally, and the town has a festival just for them. There are also historical sites, museums, BMX tracks and over 100 budget-friendly restaurants and wineries.
- Hoh Rainforest. Located in Olympic National Park, this rainforest is the most popular destination for visitors to the park. The Hoh Rainforest has a campground that is open year round. Not far from the rainforest is the town of Forks, where guests can acquire lodging and food. Hoh Rainforest gets140 to 170 inches of precipitation per year.
- San Juan and Orcas Islands. These islands can be reached by ferry from Anacortes, Washington. There are ferry tours available that stop at many locations on the islands. This area is the only state bi-way that is also a marine highway, making it a great destination for whale watching. The many points of interest on the Islands offer diverse shopping, ethnic foods and are all family and budget friendly.