Wyoming is home to a host of places to visit, check out these 10 places to travel on a budget in Wyoming. Rich in history and teeming with wildlife, Wyoming is a great travel destination no matter how small your budget.
- Travel to budget-friendly Medicine Bow. A former railroad supply post, Medicine Bow is home to the historic Virginian Hotel. Named after the book by Owen Wister, The Virginian was once the premier hotel in Wyoming. Check out the free museum housed in a former railroad depot. Next door is the Owen Wister Monument and Cabin. Visit Medicine Bow National Forest where the hiking is free and the views are endless. The National Forest also allows free dispersed camping.
- A good place to travel on a budget in Wyoming is the Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park area. The $25 entry fee is valid for both parks and is good for seven days, allowing you plenty of time to experience the amazing sights. For $12 a night you can camp at one of the five campgrounds in Grand Teton National Park, or for $20 a night, stay at one of the eleven campgrounds in Yellowstone.
- Cody is a great place to travel on a budget. Watch a shoot out at the Irma Hotel, it’s free and takes place every Monday through Saturday in the summer. Enjoy a real rodeo every night from June through August. Adult ticket prices for the 2010 rodeo season are only $18. Take a drive on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and experience wildlife and the gorgeous views of the Yellowstone River. Hotels are pricey in Cody so consider planning your visit around a camping trip to Yellowstone National Park.
- Check out Flaming Gorge, the hotspot for fishing in Wyoming. Pay the $5 per day entrance fee and the cost of a fishing license to experience hundreds of miles of shoreline and plentiful trout fishing. You can hike, bike, or put your amateur geologist to work studying the rock formations and searching for fossils.
- Budget friendly activities abound in and around Laramie. Take a walking tour of the historic downtown, visit the Ames Monument, or head to Vedauwoo in the Medicine Bow National Forest. At Vedauwoo, you can see antelope, deer, and the occasional black bear. Rock climbing and hiking are both popular activities at Vedauwoo and dispersed camping is free.
- Cheyenne has much to offer the budget minded traveler. Check out the Cheyenne Gunslingers performing live every weeknight in the summer. Keep your eye out for the big boots, art displays located around the city. Take in a free concert at the Cheyenne Depot. Visit the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, which is free to the public. At the Gardens, be sure to check out Ol’ Sadie, Wyoming’s oldest steam engine.
- Visit Sheridan for a budget friendly trip. In Sheridan, you can explore the historic Main Street and window shop for western apparel and jewelry. For four dollars, visit The Trail End Historic Site which is the largest historic house in Wyoming. Take a tour of the historic Sheridan Inn where Buffalo Bill Cody once spent time.
- If you’re a bird watcher, check out Hawk Springs. It’s only $6 for a daily use fee and just $4 to camp. At Hawk Springs you can tour the blue heron rookery, fish for walleye, or ice fish in the winter. Hawk Springs offers rock climbing, water skiing, and picnicking. This is a great budget minded place to travel and get away from it all.
- Budget travelers looking for relaxation should head to Thermopolis and visit the hot springs. The Bath House at Hot Springs State Park is free to the public. The park has trails for hiking, fishing, and picnic spots. Natural wonders abound. Enjoy white water rafting through Wind River Canyon. Half day trips start at a reasonable $45.
- Retrace the paths of pioneers on the Oregon Trail. Start in Casper, then drive west to Independence Rock. Check out the handcart at Devil’s Gate. End up at Fort Bridger, a trail supply stop operated by Jim Bridger. Camp out along the way and enjoy a scenic road trip through the heart of Wyoming.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?