10 Prostate Cancer Recovery Tips
As nearly one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lives, all men should be familiar with prostate cancer recovery tips. Prostate cancer recovery tips can help improve your quality of life and your rate of recovery if you have been diagnosed with the disease. Some are lifestyle changes, some are simple strategies you can use to help yourself get better.
- Maintain a healthy diet. It is especially important to limit sugar intake. During prostate cancer recovery, it is also a good idea to limit red meat consumption, as red meat has been linked to prostate cancer. You should also keep the amount of saturated fat in your diet low.
- Go for clean living. Eliminating alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs and caffeine all can help with recovery from cancer. They will also help improve your general health and feeling of well-being. Talk to your doctor if you smoke and are having trouble giving it up.
- Use visualization exercises in your treatment. Studies have shown that visualizing the destruction of cancer cells can help the body fight cancer. Typical visualization exercises include meditations or art therapy. There is even a cancer game available online where patients with prostate cancer or other cancers can go to war and blow up their cancer cells on the screen.
- Seek counseling. Hormone levels can change significantly during prostate cancer recovery, leading to mood swings. Your emotional state has a profound impact on your general health. Individual therapy or, couples therapy for patients who are in a relationship can help smooth out mood swings and help patients with recovery.
- Get more exercise. Exercise helps support your immune system. It also helps with your psychological well-being, particularly during highly stressful times like prostate cancer recovery. Exercise has also been shown to help alleviate the nausea that can be associated with cancer treatment.
Engage in relaxation methods like yoga, meditation and massage. The more relaxed you are, the lower your pain levels will be. Relaxation helps your body heal more quickly, as well.
- Consider joining a support group. It helps to talk to people who are going through the same things that you are. Not only do you share an experience, you may be able to help out one another with prostate recovery tips that have worked for you.
- Be aware that prostate cancer treatment will affect your sex life. Hormone treatments can reduce your libido or inhibit your ability to get an erection. Remember that sex is more than intercourse, and explore alternate sexual activities like oral sex or mutual masturbation.
- Keep up with regular medical check-ups. Even if you are cancer-free, there is a chance it can return. Catching it early is the best way to ensure a full recovery.
- Talk to your doctor about vitamin or herbal supplements. Saw palmetto is good for preventing prostate cancer. Vitamin E helps your body with healing. Your doctor can tell you which supplements can be most helpful for you.