These 10 quotes by Mia Hamm, an American soccer player who is widely regarded as the greatest female players in history, evoke a sense of teamwork, determination, self-confidence and pride in accomplishments. The following quotes by Mia Hamm were assembled by the UMBC Men’s Club Soccer from Baltimore, Maryland, and the Josephson Institute Center for Sports Ethics.
- "You can't just beat a team; you have to leave a lasting impression in their minds so they never want to see you again.” Mia Hamm began her legacy of lasting impressions at a young age. According to her A&E biography: “In 1991, at age 19, she was the youngest team member in history to win the World Cup.”
- "Failure happens all the time. It happens every day in practice. What makes you better is how you react to it." Wisdom which can be applied to anything, whether activities and hobbies or failure in the workplace. Mia Hamm and her team secured the World Cup in 1991, then the gold medal at the 1996 Olympics, and again in 2004.
- "It is not sacrifice if you love what you're doing." Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to truly enjoy what they do for a living. It is estimated that Mia Hamm has one of the largest fan bases of any American athlete, which is likely in due in part to her love of the sport.
- "If you don't love what you do, you won't do it with much conviction or passion."Striving to do things that you don’t love or enjoy-but still want to do well-is a great lesson for life. Her passion led her to being elected “soccer USA's female athlete of the year five years in a row (1994-1998), MVP of the Women's Cup in 1995 and the winner of three ESPY awards, including Soccer Player of the Year and Female Athlete of the Year.”
- "There are always new, grander challenges to confront, and a true winner will embrace each one."Success is often measured not by previous accomplishments but the ability to master new challenges and aspects of your craft. Mia Hamm was listed on the FIFA’s list of the 125 greatest living players; she and her teammate, Michelle Akers, are the only two women-and the only two Americans-on the list.
- "I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion." Sports are a wonderful way to learn teamwork, especially for children, which can ultimately allow coworkers, friends and family to work better as a unit.
- "True champions aren't always the ones that win, but those with the most guts.” This goes hand-in-hand with the timeless saying: It isn’t whether you win or lose, but how you play the game. In memory of her brother-a true champion-Mia Hamm founded the “Mia Hamm Foundation” for bone marrow research.
- "I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match." This determination and drive let Mia Hamm to being “the youngest soccer player ever to play for the national team” at the age of 15, according to “A&E Biography.”
- "The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking." Surely something Mia Hamm has done many times, after either a win or a loss. According to the “A&E Biography” channel website, she was named FIFA World Player of the Year in 2001 and 2002, and was a member of the U.S. national soccer team for 17 years.
- “I’ve worked too hard and too long to let anything stand in the way of my goals. I will not let my teammates down, and I will not let myself down.” Mia Hamm of all people understands the value of team work and mutual respect among the members of any team. After the 2004 Summer Olympics, she retired from soccer, stating she wanted to start a family.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?