10 Rap Songs About Love
Rap is an art form, and despite the rumors, its not all about misogyny and disrespecting women, as evidenced by these 10 rap songs about love. In fact, a number of big name rappers have created some of their biggest hits, and greatest rap songs ever out of opening up their heart to express love.
- “I Need Love” – LL Cool J. As one of the greatest rap songs of all time, a much younger LL Cool J takes his bad boy bravado down a notch to express a softer side that needs a girl as sweet a dove.
- “I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By” – Method Man, Mary J. Blige. Another rap classic, Method Man joins forces with Mary J. Blige to put a heartfelt, gangsta rap spin on an R&B/Soul classic.
- “Beautiful” – Snoop Dogg, Pharrell Williams, Charlie Wilson. Perhaps The Doggfather's first love song, this single from Snoop Dogg's fourth studio album features the signature snare drums of The Neptunes and R&B legend, Charlie Wilson.
- “Song Cry” – Jay-Z. Life is hard on the road, and sometimes relationships become the victim of the fast-paced lifestyle of being a rising hip hop star. Jay-Z uses a rap track to release his emotions about love lost to the pitfalls of fame and fortune.
- “Dear Mama” - 2Pac. Sometimes the most important woman in a man's life is his mother. 2Pac chronicles the ups and downs of his mother's unconditional love on this classic 1995 single.
- “Come Close” - Common, Mary J. Blige. The queen of hip hop soul, Mary J. Blige finds her way on another hip hop classic about love. This time, Common rhymes over kicks and snares to pop the question to the love of his life.
- “You Got Me” - The Roots, Eve, Erykah Badu. Underground hip Hop heavyweights The Roots collaborate with hometown counterpart Eve to create a haunting track about building trust in a long-distance relationship.
- “I Used to Love H.E.R.” - Common. Common uses extended metaphors to chronicle his love for hip hop on one the greatest hip hop songs ever.
- “Superwoman ” - Lil Mo, Fabolous. The first collaboration among two between up-and-coming artists at the time, this single from Lil Mo's debut album became her biggest hit.
- “21 Questions” - 50 Cent. 50 Cent goes into interview mode to find out if his girlfriend's love is real.