If you're looking for 10 really sad movies, grab a box of tissues and keep it real close to you because these ten golden pieces of cinema are bound to make you shed a tear or two. These movies contain all types of tragedies from the September 11 terrorist attacks, the sinking of the Titanic, the living hell that was World War II and a zombie virus that has overrun mankind. But this is only the beginning. Prepare to cry yourself a river.
- "United 93" The first film ever made in which the horrible events of September 11 were depicted. Of the many 9/11 stories, "United 93" tells its story from the perspective of the passengers on one of the flights. It makes you root for them up until the end, even though you know they won't make it.
- "Titanic" The film that broke box office records around the world in the late 1990s (before "Avatar" came along a decade later, that is) tells an epic and tragic tale. Before September 11 and before Pearl Harbor, there was the sinking of the Titanic, which was so expertly and realistically crafted in this smash hit of a film.
- "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" The sequel to the original "Terminator" not only managed to be even more dark, disturbing and brea box office records, but it also carried with it a sense of sadness and dread brought on by the impending Judgment Day.
- "Day of the Dead" The third chapter into George A. Romero's classic "Dead" saga continues months after the events of "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead" in which the zombies have successfully outrun mankind and a small patch of survivors hole up in a crumbling underground military bunker with dwindling supplies.
- "Alien 3" While the third "Alien" film did receive a lot of critical backlash upon its release, it has become a cult classic, growing steadily more acceptable with fans and moviegoers alike over the years. "Alien 3" is a tragedy and we're given that sense right from the get-go with the deaths of Hicks and Newt, then Ripley herself.
- "Saving Private Ryan" Steven Spielberg touched upon a gold mine when he made "Saving Private Ryan," one of the greatest World War II movies on the face of the Earth. There is a constant cloud of death and chaos present throughout this movie, even as our main characters bite the dust one by one.
- "World Trade Center" The second film to be made based around the terrible terrorist attacks that took place on September 11 was "World Trade Center," a film which told the tragedy from the perspective of two police officers from Port Authority who become trapped beneath the immense rubble.
- "The Wizard of Oz" The classic tale of a young farm girl who is transported away by a tornado to a magical dimension called the Land of Oz where she makes strange new friends, battle a wicked witch and meet the wizard himself in order to get back home. The film places a great emphasis on friendship and goodbyes.
- "Ghost" This Patrick Swayze-led tearjerker fest of a hit film has the titular star playing the role of Sam Wheat, a man who is murdered right before his girlfriend's eyes. As a wondering soul, he must now find his killer and protect his girlfriend before she's next. Sam's attempts to connect with his lady after death and his final goodbye makes this one of the saddest movies ever.
- "I Am Legend" Starring Will Smith as the last man on planet Earth, "I Am Legend" is the third retelling of the classic story of the same title. Aside from the weak ending, the story carries around a heavy amount of emotional baggage, but its often stripped away by poor monster CGI.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …