These ten reasons not to fall in love could have been the inspiration for the 1956 song by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers “only fools fall in love”. There seems to be a lot of resources dedicated to helping single people find love these days. With everything that is involved with being in love, is it really worth it?
- Your bad habits are now on display. Drinking out of the milk jug and leaving your dirty clothes on the bedroom floor are a thing of the past. Passing gas whenever and where ever you want will no longer happen with out you getting a barrage of complaints.
- Coming and going as you please will now be monitored. Be prepared to install a time clock at your front door so she can get an update of your whereabouts at all times. Make sure your cell phone has unlimited minutes so she has plenty of time to complain about you hanging out with your buddies until three o’clock in the morning.
- For a lot of women, love equals marriage. If the dating turns to love then you can expect talk of marriage to come up at some point. It’s when the talk turns to ultimatums, like “marry me or else…..”, that things can start to get ugly.
- You no longer have your house to yourself. Women like to mark their territory, so you can expect girly stuff to start to appear. Tampons under the sink, her clothes in your closet, stuff like that. If she does move in the ruffled sofa pillows and pink bedspread come with her too.
- Being in love is expensive. Meals are now for two as is any entertainment you partake of. Gift giving, holidays, travel and anything else you pick up the tab for, can add up to a pretty hefty amount.
- Love means compromise and negotiation. The boardroom has nothing on relationships. You want Chinese food, she wants Italian. You want to watch football, she wants to talk about where you see this relationship going. Eventually every decision takes an act of Congress.
- Being in love can wear you out. It is tiring trying to remember what her favorite color is and what dress she wore on your first date. Then there is the whole laundry list of dates you better get right: the date you fist met, your anniversary, her birthday, her family's birthdays, and don't you dare forget her cat’s name let alone it's birthday—all of her other favorite things. You better have a good memory or your PDA handy to help you out.
- There’s always the concern if you are both at the same level of commitment. Is it safe to use the L word yet, or is it going to freak her out? Are you both moving forward in the relationship at the same speed? Does she love you as much as you love her?
- Cheating can kill a relationship. Variety is the spice of life and if you aren’t ready to stop sampling the spices then a monogamous relationship probably isn’t going to work out for you. The saying ”what the eyes don’t see, the heart doesn’t feel”, isn’t the best advice to follow when in a committed relationship. If you are with someone for a while and they know you pretty well, there is a good chance they are going to know something is up.
- One way or another there is a good chance someone is going to get hurt. Most relationships break up eventually. Half of all marriages end in divorce. It is an exception if two people can end a relationship magnanimously. Unless you get married and both die of old age at exactly the same time someone is going to end up with a broken heart.
At some point in life everyone gives in to the temptation of love. It is necessary for humans to propagate for our species to carry on. Of course, that can happen without being in love, but that’s what separates us from lower life forms. With all the trouble love can be, life is better when you have someone special to share it with, but you have to be ready for it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?