10 Relationships Tips
These 10 relationships tips are basic foundations for a healthy relationship. Healthy relationships are good for both people, promote happiness and makes lives less stressful. These relationships tips are not just for couples they are for all the relationships in your life.
- Have realistic expectations. In a relationship it is easy to get into the mindset that the other person should change to meet your needs and that they should never disappoint you. But in the real world, accepting someone for who they are and knowing they are not perfect makes for healthier relationships.
- Listen well. Most people are good at talking but listening is a rare skill. Take the time to really listen to what the other person is saying and squelch your need to have your say immediately. Ask questions and be open to their answers. Try to see the emotions behind the words. This is one of the most underused relationships tips.
- Be open to change. Life is not static. As your life changes so will your relationships. Learn new ways to interact. Change can be upsetting so try to be flexible and talk about your fears.
- Fight fair. Conflict is a normal part of relationships. If both parties feel free to express themselves then there will be disagreements. But saying hurtful things or bringing up extraneous issues only deepens the conflict. Focus on being constructive and finding a way to bridge the differences.
- Apologize. When you are wrong say you are sorry. Be specific about your regret and promise to make changes in the future.
- Stop the criticism. Constantly trying to perfect other people damages relationships. When you point out flaws they probably are already aware of them. Stay on the positive. Talk about how their actions affect you. Attacking someone just makes them defensive.
- Focus on goodwill. Even when you are annoyed or angry with someone there should be good will between you. Remember you are both on the same side and you care about each other. Drawing a line in the sand and taking sides against each other destroys the spirit of good will between you. This is one of the most important relationships tips.
- Take care of yourself. Expecting someone else to make you happy is not realistic. Taking charge of your life and your own happiness takes the pressure off of the other person.
- Don’t assume. If you think you know how the other person feels might keep you from really listening. Let them tell you how they feel or what their intentions are instead of jumping to conclusions.
- Be dependable. When you make a promise keep it. When you agree to something then follow through. A relationship is made stronger when you are trustworthy.