Still looking for a sugar mama? Well maybe it’s time to start pursuing 10 of the Richest Single Women in America! Some of these women inherited their money, while some of them worked for every penny. All of them seem to know how to hang onto their fortunes and continue to grow them. Here are the 10 Richest Single Women in America:
Christy Walton. Sadly, Christy holds her fortune due to the death of her husband, John Walton, the second son of Wal-Mart Founder, Sam Walton. But Christy is the richest in the Walton family due to her husband's early investments in First Solar. This richest single woman is 54 and has one son.
- Jacqueline Mars. If you have a sweet tooth then Jacqueline Mars may be the woman for you. She is a third generation of the Mars family, best known for their chocolate products (M&Ms, Milky Way), and pet food line, Pedigree. Jacqueline is 70, has 3 children and is twice divorced.
- Anne Cox Chambers. Anne is the daughter of Cox Enterprises founder, James Cox. James was a reporter who bought the Dayton Evening News in 1898 for $26,000. Cox Enterprises includes 15 TV stations, a dozen daily newspapers, Cox Communications cable and AutoTrader.com. This is the oldest of our richest single women—Anne is 89, has been divorced twice and has 3 children.
- Marion MacMillan Pictet. Marion inherited a part of Cargill, her family’s company, which owns a majority of Mosaic, a fertilizer company. No member of the family has run the company since Whitney stepped down in 1995. But again, you’ll be chasing an older lady—Marion is 79 and has one child.
Barbara Piasecka Johnson. Another widow on our list of the 10 Richest Single Women in America is Polish immigrant Barbara Johnson. She married John Seward Johnson, the heir to Johnson & Johnson and inherited 36 million shares of the company when he passed away in 1983. Barbara is 72 and recently has been selling her art collection.
- Joan Tisch. Joan and her sister-in-law, Wilma, control the Tisch family fortune left by their husbands. Her husband Preston and Wilma's husband Laurence started their business together in 1946 by purchasing a small hotel. Today Loews Corporation is involved in hotels, offshore drilling and movie theaters. Joan is 83 and has 3 children.
- Oprah Winfrey. Oprah is the best known of our rich single women mostly due to "The Oprah Winfrey Show" which premiered nationally in 1986. She built an empire–earning every penny of her fortune. Now Oprah has partnered with Discovery Communications to launch the Oprah Winfrey Network in 2010. She also founded O Magazine and her Angel Network has raised over $70 million for humanitarian causes. Oprah is 55 and has never been married.
- Mary Alice Malone. Mary is the director of Campbell Soup Company, a company her grandfather, John Dorrance founded when he found a way to condense soup in cans. She is also the founder of Iron Spring Farm, her farm in Pennsylvania where horses are bred. This rich single woman sits at the younger side of our list at age 59. She is divorced and has 2 children.
- Diane Hendricks. Diane met Kenneth Hendricks, her late husband and business partner, when she was 21. They launched ABC Supply together in 1982. The company controls the largest roofing, window and siding wholesale distributor in the country. She may have inherited part of her money, but Diane has kept growing her portfolio and now owns 23 million square feet of commercial real estate. Diane is 62 and has 7 children.
- Martha Ingram. Our last rich single woman is also a widow who has carried on her late husband Bronson's business. Martha Ingram, 74, became the chairman of Ingram Industries when Bronson died in 1995. The company distributes books and transports commodities on barges. Martha is a patron of the arts in Nashville society and 3 of her 4 children run divisions of Ingram Industries.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.