Out of the 691 billionaires in the world, only 68 are women; learn about the 10 richest women in America.
- Alice Walton. Like most Billionaires, Alice inherited a large portion of her money. Alice is the daughter of the founder of Walmart, Sam Walton . Alice's net worth is an estimated $23.2 billion, making her the richest woman in America.
- Christy Walton. Widow of John Walton, who inherited 19.5 billion after John's airplane crash. Christy and Alice Walton are the richest American women.
- Oprah Winfrey. Oprah is a unique richest woman, she didn’t inherit a fortune. Oprah actually grew up on a pig farm and worked her way up from DJ to talk show host. Oprah is one of Fortune’s 400 richest people in the world at 2.7 billion. Oprah's success has been attributed to her ability to relate to and empathize with people. Oprah is so influential that she has even been credited with the election of Barack Obama (Over Hillary) in the 2008 Primaries.
- Margaret Magerko. Magerko inherited a lumber business from her father, Joseph Hardy. Magerko has been credited with popularizing "do it yourself" lumber (e.g. Home Depot.) Magerko's net worth is over 2 billion.
- Abigail Johnson. Johnson could be on the top three list of America's Richest women. Johnson is worth $15 billion. Johnson is the President of Fidelity Investments, America's largest mutual fund company. Johnson also has an M.B.A from Harvard.
- Jacqueline Mars. Mars is the fourth richest woman in America. Mars is worth an estimated 14 billion from the company Mars Incorporated (think Snickers). Jacqueline inherited the largest American Candy company from her Grandfather, Frank Mars.
- Anne Cox Chambers. Chambers is the owner of a large media company, Cox Enterprises. She has a net worth of 9 billion. Aside from being one of America's richest women, Chambers is also active in politics. She was appointed ambassador to Belgium under the Carter Administration. Additionally Chambers was the first woman in Atlanta to be named director of a bank.
- Penny Sue Pritzker. Pritzker is a business executive who was considered in the Obama administration for the position of Secretary of Commerce. Pritzker is worth approximately 1 billion dollars. She is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
- Joan Tisch. Tisch is one of America's richest women. Tisch inherited her 4.2 billion dollars through the Tisch family fortune. Her family owns the Loews corporation, an insurance investing company.
- Martha Robinson Rivers Ingram. Ingram is the CEO of Ingram Industries, one of America's largest privately held companies. Ingram also inherited her father's Petrolium company, which helped put her on her way to a net worth of 2.4 billion.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.