Your mother is the very first human being you ever come into contact with, making her a crucial part of your life, so let's explore these 10 rock songs about mothers. They each add different dynamics to this mother and offspring relationship, whether sad and dark or optimistic and loving. Take a listen to these legends of rock music, as their songs approach the subject of a mother from their own perspectives.
- Rolling Stones – "Mother's Little Helper." This rock song is about the age-related difficulties many mother's deal with. The mother's little helper that the Rolling Stones are referring to is medication.
- Pink Floyd – "Mother." The lyrics consist of various questions asked to their mother, many spoken from a child's perspective. The song also deals with the issues that can arise by a child being too sheltered from the ills of the world – instead of truly being given an understanding of them.
- Paul McCartney – "Only Mama Knows." An aggressive guitar drives the adrenaline level of this rock song about Paul's mother to a frantic frenzy. McCartney ponders the reasons why his mother raised him in "this God-forsaken town".
- John Lennon – "Mother." This gorgeous dedication to John Lennon's mother and father is tender and often very heartbreaking—considering it is more of a goodbye song. The somber pianos bang along with Lennon's sadness as if they are leaning on each other for support.
- Three Dog Night – Mama Told Me Not To Come." This rock song is dedicated to the good advice your mother often gives, that you may not fully appreciate until you get older. They speak about awkward situations that their mother would truly not approve of.
- The Beatles – "Mother Nature's Son." The mother that this rock song is dedicated to is not any of the mothers that game birth to The Beatles, but rather Mother Nature. Being a son to Mother Nature consists of appreciating her beauty and manifestations instead of ruining them.
- Bob Dylan – "Mama, You've Been On My Mind." This acoustic mother tribute is a rock song about all the wonderful things that remind Dylan of his precious mother. His longing for seeing her is clear and pushes the lyrical depictions to a very relatable place.
- Aerosmith – "Mama Kin." This rousing hard rock song can be interpreted as the importance of keeping in touch with your mother, no matter how hectic your life may become. Keeping that bond should be a driving force for success, not something that is completely ignored, as you both grow older.
- The Police – "Mother." This intense rock song about mothers speaks to a strained mother-and-son relationship. The vocals are screamed; apparently a phone call from mother is not something being looked forward to.
- Elton John – "Mama Can't Buy You Love." Elton John brings forth a song about how a mother can't purchase love for her daughter. This apparently is a void that he is waiting to fill for the girl.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.