10 Rules For Online Dating
The 10 rules for online dating are very similar to those that apply to meeting people in the real world. People tend to let their guards down when meeting people online. Well, don't do it. You can argue that online dating, in some ways, has more pitfalls than meeting people in person because of the initial increased opportunity for deception to occur. Rules for online dating are just as important, if not more crucial, than conventional dating.
- Getting started. Online dating is becoming more and more popular. Some people feel more comfortable reaching out to others through the safety and comfort of their own homes. The first rule for online dating is finding a safe place to meet people. Most reputable sites have certain guidelines that all members need to follow to ensure everyone's safety.
- The more thorough, the better. The more insight you can have on another person, the better. You're dating online to eventually meet someone compatible with you. It makes more sense to deal with sites that go the extra mile in trying to match you with someone. The more you can find out about someone, the more educated of a choice you can make about a possible match.
- Your online self. When you find a site that's to your liking, you have to create a biography about yourself, and possibly attach a photo. A similarity that online dating shares with conventional dating is the fact that you have a better chance of meeting someone compatible if you're honest about yourself. Don't lie, because eventually you'll meet someone attracted to the lie. Don't waste anybody's time. The truth does surface eventually.
- It's ok to be nervous. Dating is dating, online or otherwise. You're going to always have a certain level of anxiety meeting someone new no matter what the circumstances are. Don't let being nervous stop you.
- Have hope, but be realistic. Online dating isn't some magical place where all your dreams will instantly come true. It's an alternate form of meeting people. Folks choose to try their luck at the online game for a number of reasons. They could be tired of the club, have no luck in conventional dating or what have you. Whatever the case may be, you need to realize that online dating isn't a mecca for the socially perfect to congregate. You may meet a few losers before you come across a solid match.
- Explore your options. It's ok to go out with more than one person. Don't think the first person you meet will be perfect for you. Use realistic judgement. You were jaded in the real world and a certain level of skepticism is not bad now.
- Have fun. Some people get so caught up in trying to meet someone that they don't enjoy the journey. The actual process of finding a mate should be an enjoyable one. You should actually be finding out more about yourself as this journey progresses. Just because it's online dating doesn't mean it has to be work.
- Read between their lines. Online dating has one major problem. Before you meet someone you have to read a personal ad about that person. If we lived in an honest world, you could base your compatibility with someone on nicely written words posted for some dating site. The truth of the matter is, that some people simply aren't honest. If you think you've found a match online, don't get your hopes up just yet. You don't know what you're going to get until you, well, get it.
- Don't let your guard down. An important rule for online dating is to keep your emotional defenses up. Regardless if you meet someone on the street, the bus, or a dating website, you don't really know them yet. Don't let some online biography make you feel like you know this person any better. You still have to go through the natural progression of learning about this person.
- Be careful. Predators are everywhere now-a-days. You've got online evils as well as real world jerks. Watch yourself and who you decide to get comfortable with. The same real world rules apply. Make sure you're never in a compromising position.