10 Running Benefits
What are 10 running benefits? Is it really worth it to lace up a pair of sneakers, stretch out your legs and head out the front door? Check out these 10 benefits of running and see if you still feel like sitting down.
- Lose weight. Running burns calories, and a lot of them. One hour of running sheds about one thousand calories.
- Get the blood flowing. One of the greatest running benefits, and positive effects of all physical activity, is an improvement in blood circulation. This is good for the circulatory system, but also for all major organs as more oxygen-rich blood is flowing through the body.
- Running strengthens the heart. Going for a run three times a week for as little as twenty minutes will improve heart health.
- Running strengthens the lungs. Regular aerobic exercise is also beneficial for the respiratory system. This running benefit is great for overall well-being as the lungs will be equipped to supply more oxygen to the rest of the body.
- Eliminate toxins. When the body sweats from running, toxins are eliminated from the body through the skin. Sure, its not the same as a detox diet, but running regularly leads to great detoxification benefits.
- Strengthen muscles. Improve muscle tone with running. You will thank yourself for making the effort ten years down the road.
- Produce endorphins. Of all the running benefits, this is one of the most enjoyable. Going for a run, especially if you push yourself, will encourage the production of endorphins. These brain chemicals induce a state of calm and serenity.
Trouble sleeping? Run. Regular physical activity will help you get a good night's rest. The body needs to move, to be challenged and utilized. Thirty minutes of running will do the trick.
- Speed up your metabolism. Not only does running help you burn calories, but it also increases your metabolism. You can eat more without gaining weight. In fact, few runners worry about eating too much.
- Feel good. Don't underestimate this benefit of running. It makes you feel good. It strengthens your body, improves your physical well-being, reduces stress and builds confidence.
10 running benefits means 10 reasons to run. Get going!