The 10 sad depressing songs revolve around a variety of topics including lost love, death, vulnerability and drugs. Some are such iconic sad songs that they have been covered by other artists. All of these sad depressing songs have longevity with meaning that are emotional to listen to.
- "End" by The Cure. The sad depressing song "End" has a haunting musical backing that echoes throughout the piece. There is no chorus, but at the end of every verse the line, "Please stop loving me. I am none of these things," is sung. The song is about a guy who feels so worthless and let down in life that he no longer believes in himself.
- "Breathe Me" by Sia. Released in 2004, "Breath Me" is a sad depressing song because it's forever linked to the ending montage of the last episode of the TV show "Six Feet Under." During the final scenes, "Breath Me" plays over the characters' lives which turned out depressing, and it was touching to see how each character died.
- "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. Originally written and recorded by Nine Inch Nails, "Hurt" was re-done by Johnny Cash before he passed away. "Hurt" is one of the saddest and most depressing songs because of the emotion in Johnny Cash's voice, and the video he shot along with it. The opening lyrics are sad in itself, "I hurt myself today, just to see if I still feel."
- "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by The Smiths. The sad depressing song is on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's "500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll" list. The sad and haunting music is the backdrop to depressing lyrics about being miserable. The most depressing line is, "In my life, why do I give valuable time to people who don't care if I live or die?"
- "Sometime Around Midnight" by The Airborne Toxic Event. Released in 2008, lead singer Mikel Jollett wrote the song based on an actual event that happened in his life. The sad depressing song is about him running into his ex-girlfriend at a bar. She went home with another man to spite him, so he got intoxicated to numb the pain.
- "Round Here" by Counting Crows. "Round Here" has depressing lyrics about needing to feel wanted. The saddest line is, "The girl on the car in the parking lot says, man you should try to take a shot can't you see my walls are crumbling?" It can be interpreted that the girl is emotionally vulnerable and willing to sleep with a man because her self-esteem is shot.
- "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers. The ultimate sad depressing song is Bill Withers' 1971 hit "Ain't No Sunshine" which has been covered by at least 100 artists since its release. The iconic sad depressing song revolves around lyrics about being sad when a girl is away. The chorus goes, "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone; it's not warm when she's away."
- "A Lack of Color" by Death Cab for Cutie. The lyrics revolve around a lost love. He is emotionally beating himself up for letting her walk out of his life. "I slur a plea for you to come home, but i know it's too late. I should have given you a reason to stay," are the most depressing lyrics in the song.
- "Poison Oak" by Bright Eyes. Prince of depression Conor Oberst has a wide range of depressing songs, but "Poison Oak" is one of the saddest. The lyrics revolves around lost innocence and a drug problem. Hitting rock bottom can be heard in the lyrics, "You wrote bad checks just to fill your arm I was young enough, I still believed in war."
- "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong" by Against Me!. The backing is a fast and hard strung punk song, but the lyrics are a depressing story of lost love. Singer Tom Gabel wrote it about his grandparents, and how his alcoholic grandfather passed away too young. Even though he was an alcoholic, he still treated his wife amazingly. After he died, she never loved or remarried again.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.