Ever notice how feeding a bad mood can sometimes feel really good? Misery loves company, and listening to really depressing songs to make yourself feel even more depressed somehow helps the situation. Humans are weird like that. Nearly a third of all country songs are sad goodbye songs. It's a fact!
Listening to a sad song, like one of the below mentioned 10 sad leaving or goodbye songs, is essential if you’ve ever lost a loved one. Not only will sad songs help you remember your loved ones, they will also help to ease your grief.
- “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton. One of the best sad leaving or goodbye songs is Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven.” Written about the death of his young son, this song is thoughtful, inspirational and heart-achingly sad. This tear-jerker of a song definitely tops the sad leaving or goodbye song list.
- “Goodbye My Lover” by James Blunt. Whether you’ve broken off a relationship or lost the one you love to death, this sad goodbye song is worth a listen. Written by James Blunt and Roberto Mantovani, “Goodbye My Lover” is soulful and meaningful.
- “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss. It’s a common fact that most country songs center around sad themes, yet Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss’ “Whiskey Lullaby” takes the cake as being the saddest leaving or goodbye song in country music history. If you’re in the midst of breaking off a relationship due to dishonesty then this is the song for you.
- “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers. “Ain’t No Sunshine” is a sad leaving or goodbye song about losing the woman in your life. Bill Withers wittingly summed up the feelings of losing a woman with a few simple words: “Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone.”
- “From Where You Are” by Lifehouse. Perhaps the saddest leaving or goodbye song ever produced is Lifehouse’s very own “From Where You Are.” Originally written for a program dedicated to keeping teens safe while driving, this song grew in popularity when it was released for people worldwide. The lyrics are deep and the music soothingly sad.
- “Goodbye” by Plankeye. “Goodbye” is one of Plankeye’s most wistful and heartfelt songs ever produced. While the band is no longer together, the beauty of the song they created still remains for people around the world to enjoy.
- “What Hurts the Most” by Rascal Flatts. Another popular country song that centers on the theme of sadness is Rascal Flatts' hit single “What Hurts the Most.” Not only is this song easy to understand and grasp, it’s also full of well-written thoughts and feelings one usually undergoes when losing the one they’ve loved.
- “Where’d You Go” by Fort Minor. When Mike Shinoda’s band Fort Minor produced the hit single “Where’d You Go,” people from all over the world reacted positively. The lyrics to this song, “Where’d you go, I miss you so” struck a cord with people with its truth, rhythm and style.
- “Broken” by Seether featuring Amy Lee. Another deeply sad leaving or goodbye song is a song co-sung by both Seether and Amy Lee titled “Broken.” If you’re looking for a deeply-written sad song then this is the song for you. It’s chock-full of truth and meaning.
- “My Skin” by Natalie Merchant. If you’ve ever found yourself in an abusive relationship then this song will surely touch your heart. Natalie Merchant sings this song with grace, style and in a hauntingly memorable voice. Not only will this song make you cry but it will also make you want to say goodbye.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …