10 Sad Love Movies That Will Make You Cry
If you are feeling the need to unwind with a side of heartbreak tonight, this list of 10 sad love movies that will make you cry is destined to do the trick. These sad love movies will make women reach for the tissues and tough guys reach for their shirt sleeve.
- "Titanic" Often referred to as one of the saddest movies in modern cinema, this sad love movie has a tragic ending. Rose and Jack play out a love story between a poor artist and a high society girl. The amazing special effects of the sinking ship and Jack shivering in the cold, professing his love to Rose make this a guaranteed tear-jerker. If you watch it and say it didn't make you cry, you're lying!
- "Ghost" This sad love movie stars Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg and is a movie you can watch over and over, and still have a tear in your eye. In this sad love movie, Sam is killed during a robbery but remains on earth as a ghost to protect the love of his life, Molly. Swayze was picked for this movie when writer Bruce Rubin saw an interview where Swayze broke down when talking about his father. Suppose he thought that if tough guy Swayze of "Road House" fame cried, starring him in a movie would reach everyone's tear ducts. He was right.
- "The Notebook" Starring real-life couple Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, this movie is about a couple who finds each other, but loses each other. Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, you will need to have an extra box of tissues when you watch this sad love movie.
- "A Walk To Remember This movie is also based on a Nicholas Spark novel and makes it on this list of sad love movies that will make you cry because of its story of what happens when two totally different social worlds come together.
- "P.S. I Love You" Considered one of past decade's saddest love movies, this pick will have you in tears by the end. This sad love movie that will make you cry stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler and tells a tale of how even after death, love survives.
- "Bridges of Madison County" Starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood, this 1995 movie brought tears to everyone's eyes. This movie made it on the list of sad love movies that will make you cry because of the tragic love story between a housewife and a vacationing photographer.
- "Nights in Rodanthe" Yet another movie adapted from a Nicholas Spark novel, this sad love movie stars Richard Gere and Diane Lane. This movie will make you cry with the story of an estranged wife and a surgeon who meet by chance at a beach inn.
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" This movie stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett and spans their life-long love affair. Benjamin, played by Pitt, has a disease that makes him age in reverse and makes this movie a tear-jerker. This movie must be on any list of ten sad love movies that will make you cry.
- "Romeo and Juliet" Although this Shakespeare play has been adapted multiple times for stage and film, the 1996 version starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes is a must-see if you are feeling the need to weep. Any tragic love story that spans centuries and is still popular today must make it on a list of sad love movies that make you cry.
- "Love Story" This film from 1970 had people waiting in line for hours to see it. A story about a young couple with opposite backgrounds who put their hearts on the line for each other, this movie undoubtedly has what it takes to make it on this list of top sad love movies that will make you cry.