These ten sad love movies take viewers and make them care about the lead characters in the film before sweeping the rug out from underneath them. A sad love movie will manipulate the viewers into believing the characters may not have a chance, but that they can accomplish something to make the tragedy easier to accept at the end.
- “Brokeback Mountain” - Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal star in this movie about two men who fall in love. The movie shows the difficulties the men have in hiding their forbidden love, and this sad love movie tale ends with the death of one of the men and the broken heart he left behind.
- “Ghost” – Patrick Swayze stars as Sam, a man murdered in a mugging in one of the saddest love movies. His wife, Molly, has to learn how to live without him, but when Sam returns as a ghost, he has to find a way to let Molly know her life is in danger. He saves her and the two finally get a chance to say goodbye.
- “Love Story” – Based on the novel by Erich Segal, “Love Story” is one of cinema’s greatest sad love movies. Ryan O’Neal is Oliver, a man who falls in love and marries Jennifer (Ali MacGraw) despite his father’s objections. The two live happily until Jennifer contracts a disease and eventually succumbs to it.
- “Moulin Rouge” – This Baz Luhrmann musical directs this sad love movie about a young man named Christian who falls in love with a cabaret performer named Satine. The two face many trials as they attempt to find true love, but Christian is not aware that Satine has a terminal illness and only has a short time to live.
- “My Girl” – Vada is a young tomboy girl who becomes best friends with an unpopular boy named Thomas. Vada has a lot of problems, not the least of which is the belief she killed her mother during childbirth. The movie is heartbreaking as she is forced to grow up fast as she watches Thomas die due to an allergic reaction to bee stings.
- “The Notebook” – Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook” is one of the many sad love movies adaptations based on the author’s work. The movie follows the love story of two young people. The movie is told in flashback from the elderly man to his beloved wife who has dementia and never remembers their past love.
- “Titanic” – James Cameron broke all the box office records with this sad love movie retelling of the sinking of the Titanic. The movie showcases the love of two individuals, one who survives the ship crash and the other who perishes in the frozen waters.
- “Message in a Bottle” – Kevin Costner stars as a boatman who falls in love with a reporter. The two share a tumultuous relationship throughout the movie, and it ends when she receives a phone call from his father explaining that he died at sea trying to save someone else’s life.
- “A Walk to Remember” – Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, “A Walk to Remember” follows the author’s ability to craft together a story that always makes a sad love movie. In this movie, a couple falls in love and the boy learns the girl has made a wish list of everything she wants to accomplish in her life. She develops cancer, and he helps her fulfill everything before she dies.
- “City of Angels” - “City of Angels” is an American remake of the Wim Winders film “Wings of Desire.” Nicholas Cage is an angel who chooses to become human to live a life of love with a doctor he observes. Once he makes the irreversible transformation, the two spend a short time together before she dies, leaving him alone.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …