10 Sad Love Song Lyrics
Sometimes, after you've had a long day, it's really handy to have a list of 10 sad love song lyrics just so you can kick back and sing along. Whether you've just suffered a loss or perhaps you have a relationship on the rocks, belting out some familiar tunes can actually be quite therapeutic. Looking for some good sad love song lyrics to inspire you? Give this list of sad love song lyrics a try and you'll be commiserating in no time.
- "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt: If you're looking for sad love song lyrics to remind you of a lost love, "Goodbye My Lover" is the best song for this: "I've seen you cry. I've seen you smile. I've watched you sleeping for a while. I'd be the father of your child. I'd spend a lifetime with you."
- "My Immortal" by Evanescence: If you're looking for some truly heartbreakingly sad love song lyrics, you'll definitely want to give this one a listen. Few songs can grip the senses with the power that "My Immortal" can: "You used to captivate me by your resonating light. Now I'm bound by the life you left behind. Your face, it haunts my once pleasant dreams. Your voice, it chased away all of the sanity in me."
- "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls: "And all I can taste is this moment. And all I can breathe is your life. 'Cause sooner or later it's over. I just don't want to miss you tonight." If you enjoy sad love song lyrics "Iris," by the Goo Goo Dolls, is sure to fit the bill. Known to have some of the best sad love song lyrics from the 90's, this is a classic love ballad with a beautiful sound.
- "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol: Sometimes, you can find some great sad love song lyrics in songs that aren't really supposed to be all that sad. Particularly touching, "Chasing Cars" can bring on the tears just for the sheer beauty of this simple tune. "If I lay here. If I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?"
- "So Much For My Happy Ending" by Avril Lavigne: This is a great song that has some of the best sad love song lyrics for when you find out your partner just isn't taking your relationship very seriously. "All of the memories, so close to me, just fade away. All this time you were pretending. So much for my happy ending."
- "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen: Sometimes, sad love song lyrics aren't about lovers, but are about family. "Famous Blue Raincoat" is a sad tale of betrayal and the regret that comes with the territory. "And what can I tell you my brother, my killer? What can I possibly say? I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you. I'm glad you stood in my way."
- "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinead O'Connor: Originally penned by Prince, the vocal stylings of this Irish songstress weaves this song into a real heart wrencher. Possessing some of the saddest love song lyrics of all time, how can you resist a girl that asks, "Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling. Tell me baby, where did I go wrong?"
- "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride: There are few things more devastating than the death of a child, and this tune is one of the best sad love songs ever written. A tragic victim of child abuse, "A name is written on a polished rock. A broken heart that the world forgot."
- "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright: This song has some amazingly sad love song lyrics because it deals not only with love and relationships, but also with faith. "Love is not a victory march. It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah."
- "Fix You" by Coldplay: For the best sad love song lyrics, you definitely want to check out Coldplay's "Fix You." A tender song about still caring for someone, even when they're gone, the lyrics to this song are beautiful. "Lights will guide you home and ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you."