Love songs dominate popular music, and here are 10 sad songs about love 2010 brought us. The year in music was a good one, especially for sad songs about love, 2010 artists producing a number of potential classics of the genre. Here are some of the sad songs about love 2010, the year in music, brought to listeners with broken hearts.
- "Runaway" by Kanye West, featuring Pusha T. One of the most successful albums of the year was Kanye's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," and its lead single is one of our 10 sad songs about love from 2010. In it, Kanye pushes away his lover, urging her to runaway because he's a "douchebag" and an "asshole." It's self-deprecating and humorous but sad all the same.
- "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem featuring Rihanna. Rihanna sings the hook on yet another Em song about his on-again, off-again wife/girlfriend Kim. It is one of the most popular sad songs about love 2010 gave us.
- "Boyfriend" by Best Coast. This lovelorn song doesn't sound too sad, because it is a harmony-drenched psychedelic pop song sung in a girlish voice with a Beach Boys vibe. But Bethany Cosentino's love is unrequited, adding an air of melancholy to this indie rock entry on our sad songs about love of 2010 list.
- "I Can't Stand" by Zola Jesus. A gothic, theatrical pop song from a young female singer, this is a heart-wrenching love song. Zola Jesus' "Stridulum" EP is full of sad songs about love, and one of 2010's best releases.
- "Blue as Your Blood" by the Walkmen. This quiet, boozy indie rock ballad has lead singer Hamilton Leithauser sad about losing his rich girlfriend. He spits out the insult that he's as "Blue as Your Blood" but we can tell he's more sad than angry in this, one of the best sad songs about love 2010 had to offer.
- "Madder Red" by Yeasayer. This song has a danceable, Talking Heads vibe but is more melancholy than it seems at first. As a sad song about love, it sneaks up on the listener before tugging at the heartstrings.
- "Breakin' the Chains of Love" by Fitz and the Tantrums. A blue-eyed soul stomper, this song goes the other route, celebrating a breakup. There is a hint of sadness in the vocal, though, and it remains a sad song about love even though it makes listeners want to dance.
- "Goodbye Sweet Dreams" by Roky Erickson. The cult singer-songwriter returned in 2010 with an album backed by fellow Austinites Okkervil River. This first true song on the album is a wistful sad song about love, beginning with a simple acoustic guitar pattern and filled in with ethereal sounds and Erickson's inimitable voice.
- "I Can Change" by LCD Soundsystem. LCD's James Murphy is always couching sad songs about love in danceable tracks that move parties as much as hearts. "I Can Change" is no different, wistful and melancholy but with an infectious beat.
- "Terrible Love" by the National. A mature band for indie rock adults closes out our list of 10 sad songs about love 2010 produced. "Terrible Love" opens their "High Violet" album, beginning in a slow murmur but building to a cathartic, angry release at the end, like the best of that band's songs.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.