If you like a sentimental movie that falls on the dark side, you will enjoy the 10 saddest movie quotes. A good tearjerker can provide audiences with therapeutic cries, empathy for its characters and enlightenment. Some sad films are irresistible, and others are a mix of tragedy and comedy. Regardless of what type of movie they lie within, these quotes are, indeed, sad and sobering.
- "He left me there on the banks of the Mississippi, somewhere between life and death," is a somber quote from "Interview with a Vampire". The quote is stated by Louis, as portrayed by Brad Pitt. The quote sums up the desperation and hopelessness of his existence as a vampire.
- "Here's looking at you, kid," is one of the most simplistic, yet poignant and unforgettable ways that a character ever expressed sentiments of both goodbye and love. It is from the classic "Casablanca" and was uttered by Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine. The quote has become a part of pop culture; it even is said over and over again daily as models act out the scene on the Great Movie Ride at Disney World's Hollywood Studios.
- "Dolores Claiborne" is a masterpiece motion picture. It also is full of very memorable, yet very sad, quotes. Most of them contain certain choice words, but this sad quote, said by Selena, brilliantly portrayed by Jennifer Jason Leigh, is fitting, "I'm telling you there's a lot of nobodies." She says this in response to her mother wondering why she is not in a relationship.
- One of the saddest quotes come from the movie "The Virgin Suicides, in the aftermath of several suicides". It states, "It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls, but only that we had loved them. And that they hadn't heard us calling, still do not hear us calling them, out of those rooms where they went to be alone for all time, and where we will never find the pieces to put them back together."
- "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," proclaimed Gordon Gekko, portrayed by Michael Douglas, in "Wall Street". It was a very sad sentiment, as the reality of the cruel game of greed is played out in the film in a shatteringly realistic way.
- "You're worth more dead than alive!" boomed Mr. Potter to George Bailey. Most people recognize this quote as the evil Mr. Potter's taunt of George on Christmas Eve in the classic movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". His attempts to bring down George's spirits truly do, but, thanks to an angel's guidance, it all works out, but the sad quote and scene are unforgettable.
- "I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," roared Marlon Brando as Terry Maloy. The scene with this quote, from "On The Waterfront", is often shown as example of the power of Brando. It is a quote that reveals the deepest of regrets of the character, which resonates with many people who also feel deep regret.
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," proclaimed Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. It would go on to be one of the most infamous lines in all of movie history. The line, his last in "Gone With the Wind", announced that Butler's love had died, and it left Scarlett all alone, at a time when she finally realized her love for him.
- "Obviously, doctor, you've never been a thirteen-year-old girl," stated Cecilia Lisbon. This was a response to a doctor who treated her for a suicide attempt; the doctor had told her that she was not even old enough to know how bad life gets. The empathic young girl did, however, understand that.
- "I followed all the rules, man's, God's. You followed none of them, and they all loved you more, even my own wife," stated character Alfred to brother Tristan. This quote is from "Legends of the Fall" and follows the suicide of Susannah, the wife of Alfred and one-time love interest of Tristan.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.