Want to know the ten saddest song lyrics about death? Songs about death and dying have some of the saddest song lyrics around. They touch the soul like no other lyrics can. Of course, when it comes to music, everyone has an opinion. But most will agree, these are some of the saddest song lyrics about death ever written.
- “And when she passed away / I cried and cried all day.” Songs about crying are sad, especially when the tears are associated with death. “Alone Again (Naturally) is a 70s ballad by Gilbert O’Sullivan. The song is sad all the way around. It starts with a man planning his suicide after being left at the alter, and ends with him singing about the death of his parents.
“You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie / In the arms of an angel, may you find some comfort here.” “Angel” is a sad 90s song by Sarah McLachlan. It was written for Jonathan Melvoin, a Smashing Pumpkins keyboard player who died of a heroin overdose in 1996.
- “Goodbye England’s rose, may you ever grow in our hearts / You were the grace that placed itself where lives were torn apart.” The original 70s "Candle In The Wind" is an Elton John song remembering Marilyn Monroe. He remade the song in the 90s, as a tribute to Princess Diana.
- “If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him…I’d love to dance with my father again.” “Dance With My Father” also has some sad song lyrics. The 2003 single by R&B singer-songwriter Luther Vandross reveals the pain the narrator experiences as he remembers his father, who died.
- “Now she’s gone, even though I hold her tight / I lost my love, my life that night.” Some of the saddest song lyrics about death come from “Last Kiss," a 60s teen tragedy song by J. Frank Wilson. It tells a story from a young man’s viewpoint. He crashes his car while on a date, and his girlfriend dies in his arms following their “last kiss.”
- “And between now and then, ’til I see you again, I'll be loving you. Love, Me." “Love, Me” is a 90s single by Collin Raye. The tender lyrics tell of a man's grandfather who reads a note the grandmother wrote when they were young. Later, he reads the note at her funeral through tears of sadness.
- “Every night in my dreams, I see you, I feel you / That is how I know you go on.” “My Heart Will Go On” is the theme song for the 90s film “Titanic.” The song has melancholy lyrics, perfect for a bittersweet movie about young love and untimely death.
- “I am the one voice in the cold wind, that whispers / And if you listen, you’ll hear me call across the sky.” Josh Groban performed "Remember" with Tanja Carovska. They recorded the sad song for the recent epic film “Troy.”
- “Beyond the door, there’s peace I’m sure / And I know there’ll be no more…tears in heaven.” “Tears In Heaven” is a 90s ballad by Eric Clapton. The sad lyrics tell of the pain he felt after the death of his four-year-old son, who fell from an apartment window.
- “In school, they all stop and stare / I can’t hide the tears, but I don’t care / I’ll never forget him.” Rounding out the list of the saddest lyrics about death is “Leader Of The Pack," a 60s single by the Shangri-Las. The sad lyrics tell of a young girl in love with a boy from the “wrong side of town,” and the heartbreak she endures when he dies in a motorcycle crash.
"Last Kiss by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers." (Song Facts) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2323
"Love, Me by Collin Raye." (Song Facts) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=14231
"My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion." (Song Facts) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5294
"Josh Groban:Troy Lyrics." (Metro Lyrics) http://www.metrolyrics.com/troy-lyrics-josh-groban.html
"Tears In Heaven by EricClapton." (Song Facts) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1274
"Leader Of The Pack by The Shangri-Las." (Song Facts) http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2967
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…