10 Saltwater Kayak Fishing Tips
These 10 saltwater kayak fishing tips can be quite useful in ensuring that your adventure is as fun and enjoyable as it can be. There are obvious tricks and strategies that can greatly increase your odds of catching a fish, as well as just having a having a good time. You want to make sure that your adventure, saltwater kayak fishing, doesn’t run into any hiccups and that you are able to enjoy every second.
- Before leaving shore, make sure that you have appropriate emergency equipment. This is the most important of the saltwater kayak fishing tips and must be done before the kayak is taken from shore. There should be an adequate mode of communication and for signaling for help, including flares.
- The most essential is the PFD, personal floatation device. One of the most important of the saltwater kayak fishing tips is quite essential to your safety. The device must be approved by the Coast Guard to ensure maximum safety.
Make sure you carry a sharp knife. This will be an essential tool in your saltwater kayak fishing as you will use it to cut rope, line and fish while you are out.
- Keep a GPS receiver and deck-mounted steering compass for best navigation. It is too easy to get lost in the ocean without these important tools. They can ensure that you stay on course and that you will able to find your way to shore.
- Use the kayak to get into the more shallow waters most boats aren’t able to venture into. This can get you to the more populated schools of fish that are easier to site cast. Going into small inlets towards a shore can generate great fish.
- Run a flat surface water troll during paddling. This gives the look of swimming bait to the fish you are seeking to catch. Depending on your area, you should get the appropriate bait to drag with you.
- Make sure that you use paddle clips to hold the paddles in place as you fish. This is important to saltwater kayak fishing as you could lose your paddles very quickly with the motion of the waters.
- Always keep the kayak hatches closed. This is so important to saltwater kayak fishing as it prevents water from getting into the kayak.
Anchor yourself when you find a good spot. If you are moving around, you won’t be very successful at saltwater kayak fishing. You will scare away fish and stir up too many particles to even see what is down in the water.
- Learn the fish grabbing technique you are most comfortable with. Using lip grippers will most likely be a necessity on your trip and you want to ensure that you are able to bring in the big ones that you catch. With the use of these saltwater kayak fishing tips and the various resources that are available on the web, you can enjoy a great pastime that has become quite popular and continues to attract a crowd.