10 Shopping Tips In Paris
If you're visiting France, you need to know these 10 shopping tips in Paris. Because Paris is a city renowned for fashion, there is clearly a lot to see and buy. Let's take a look at the top ten shopping tips.
- Know when to shop. Most places in Paris are open from 10am to 7pm and many are closed on Sundays. So be sure to start the day early if you're on a limited time schedule and want to make a round of all the best stores.
- Got money? If you're not ready to pay the price of a Chanel suit, then perhaps the best time to shop in Paris is January or July (when the sales are most rampant).
- Stay alert. Beware of pickpockets. Locals can sniff out visitors/tourists and will sometimes make them a target. If able, place money in hard to reach places.
- Stay funded. Check with debit/credit card company to check the availability of ATM machines in your area. Also, carry a little cash and of course travelers checks.
- Tour Guide for free? Beware of anyone who wants to show you around for free. Oftentimes, they will lead you to places where they hope for you to make a purchase. Stay alert.
- Taxes. Remember that France adds a VAT (Value Added Tax) automatically to the price of everything sold. If you buy enough at one store, you might get a vat refund.
- Be courteous. Whenever you enter a store, be sure to utter hello or bid goodbye in French.
- Sizes. Remember that sizes in France will vary from your home country. French sizes are probably more true to reality than American sizes, so they will run small. You might want to go a size up from what you would wear in the States.
- Larger Items. Beware of shipping larger items and understand how it will get to your front door. Also, pay attention to import restrictions and duty schedules.
- Take your time. Don't rush to buy everything in one day. There's a lot to be seen and brought in Paris so enjoy window shopping a bit before committing to expensive shopping sprees.
Posted on: May. 01, 2010