10 Signs A Coworker Likes You
If lately you’ve noticed that someone in your office seems to be always anxiously hovering nearby, there are approximately 10 signs a coworker likes you. However, the office is not a nightclub, so be very careful how you handle a budding office romance. There are always exceptions to the rule, but they rarely work out. You do not want your personal life to be fodder for other coworker’s amusement, or worse yet, be out of a perfectly good job. Here are the 10 signs a coworker likes you.
- Keeps you in their sights. Do you look up to find they are peering over their monitor for the umpteenth time today? Do you find them watching every move you make or who you speak with? Then, do they immediately look down, blush and suddenly get terribly busy? Coworkers that constantly watch you are definitely smitten.
- Intentional coincidences, or happy accidents? Coworkers that like you will make it a point to just “run” into you at the water cooler or in the break room. Moreover, they may brush up against your shoulder, lightly touch your hand to get your attention, or even grab your waist while laughing uproariously at your jokes. They may even show up at your favorite haunt for an accidental happy hour meet-up.
- Avoids you like the plague. Just as obvious as the happy stalker, is the ghost in love who feels they are out of your league. They look longingly in your direction when you do not see. They enjoy being near you in front of other coworkers; however, they quickly leave the room when you find yourselves alone. There is no eye or body contact whatsoever for fear that they may be found out.
- Talks loud. They may normally be a docile person, but the moment you enter their radar, they turn into Mr. Microphone. They want you to notice their wit and sparkling personality. They may not even notice that they are doing this.
- Wants to assist you. A coworker that likes you will volunteer to help out with extra projects so that they can prove their value. They may call to ask if they may finish your report or co-lead in the next meeting with you, take notes and minutes or even pick up your mail. They want you to have their cell phone and email address, and vice-versa.
- Taking breaks together. They make it a ritual to take their break at the same time as you. They email to let you know it is time for said break. This may become such a ritual that you feel you must apologize if you cannot go.
- Overly curious about your personal status. Other coworkers may tell you that this coworker has been asking about your love life, or what you do after business hours. They may even boldly ask you themselves. This is a major crossroad, and at this point, you must either confirm or deny your personal status.
- Tries to get a reaction. Since the fourth grade, making fun of someone to get some type of emotion from them has been a common tactic, yet it continues into adulthood. This sign that a coworker likes you is typically done in an inoffensive manner. It may take the form of excessive jabs or left-handed compliments. They may be meant to be taken affectionately, but they more likely will just leave you baffled.
- Body expression. A good way to spot the signs that a coworker likes you is if she fidgets and plays with her nails. If she’s sitting down, endlessly pumping her sexy pumps or leans forward invitingly, it is a dead giveaway.
- Facial expression. Smiling the whole time during a conversation is a sure sign that a coworker likes you. Women lick their lips and play with their hair.
Tip: If you establish that your office colleague wants to pursue a cozy dalliance, make sure you understand the repercussions of this, especially if the coworker you are thinking of dating is your subordinate or your manager.