These 10 smart sports cars defy the typical rule that a sports car is impractical. In their styling and speed these vehicles are true sports cars, but their cost, fuel economy and other aspects make them smart cars to own.
- BMW 328i. Don’t be fooled by the four doors on some of these vehicles. With as much as 320 horsepower, these cars have some serious kick to them. What makes them smart is their 26 mpg and four-year maintenance package. Oh, and don’t forget that BMW also offers a convertible model.
- Mercedes-Benz SL. This car’s V8 engine doesn’t cut too harshly into its mpg, which stands at a hefty 26. With drivers being able to hit 60 mph in five seconds, this car is absolutely not slow. While a bit pricier at $102,000 for starters, this car’s excellent mileage, track record and low maintenance make it a sports car that’s smart to own.
- Jaguar XKR Coupe. This ridiculously fast sports car (zero to 60 in four seconds, anyone?) boasts a hefty 22 mpg on the highway. That’s not shabby for a V8 engine. The car’s good looks and superior handling make it well worth its price tag of $89,000.
- Ford Shelby GT500. This roadster boasts a V8 and 540 horsepower. The muscle car comes in a coupe or convertible, both of which get 23 mpg. With a price tag below $54,000 they’re quite affordable, making them one of the smartest sports cars.
- Mini Cooper Hardtop. These small and sprightly cars come with a small price tag: $20,000. With over 440 miles per tank and an average of 32 mpg, this car definitely uses fuel efficiently. Oh, did we forget to mention it’s top speed of 126 mph?
- BMW 128i. With 230 horsepower and 28 mpg, this sports car is well worth its shockingly low price tag of $34,000. Speedy and fun, the 128i is a smart sports car.
- Audi TT 2.0T. Twenty-nine mpg, zero to 60 in five seconds and 211 horsepower make this sports car super fast. Its looks are not too bad, either. In either of the two versions offered, the Audi TT is a great sports car.
- BMW Z4. If the other two models on this list weren’t to your liking, try out the auto maker’s sporty Z4. Even with its strongest 335 horsepower, this car is still perfect for daily driving, making it one smart sports car to own.
- Saab 9-3 Convertible. This car’s premium version starts at $45,000. The car’s four-cylinder engine releases 210 horsepower, more than enough to make it a little speedster, and more than enough power to validate its price tag.
- Porsche 911 Carrera. Perhaps the quintessential sports car, the Porsche 911 Carrera can hit 60 mph in four seconds, and travels 180 mph at its fastest. The car’s classic good looks and quality engine, as well as its customizable interior make it a smart sports car.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.