Hopefully some of these 10 songs about anorexia and/or bulimia can help the person with the disorder. Anorexia is where someone with the disorder has a fear of being fat to the point they limit their food intake to dangerous levels. They often suffer from body dysmorphia and see a fat person when they look in the mirror even if they only weigh 70 pounds. This condition can be very severe and life threatening. Bulimia is harder to detect because the person often is of normal weight. They binge on all kinds of food and then either force themselves to vomit or take laxatives so they don’t gain weight. People with eating disorders may suffer both disorders at different times. Bulimia takes a toll on the esophagus and the enamel of the teeth.
- "Ana’s Song" ("Open Fire") – Silverchair. This song refers to anorexia as Ana. It says “Please die, Ana, for as long as you're here, we're not. You make the sound of laughter, and sharpened nails seem softer, and I need you now, somehow.” This song also includes the verse: “And you're my obsession, I love you to the bones, and Ana wrecks your life, like an anorexia life.”
- "World War Me" – From First to Last. This song discusses how the individual feels they look better bony. One of the verses says: “No food for weeks I've never felt better. We look better famished girl, hightail to our lush escape, and leave our filthy world away.” Another verse discusses suffering and says: “I'm on the verge of self-destruction, suffering because of my selfish vices,… suffering because I gave up on myself and everyone.”
- "Waltz Moore" – From First to Last. This song begins by saying: “I can't eat anything without shoving my hands down my throat. And I refuse to meet the world without smearing on makeup, with my hair blinding my eyes.” The person wonders if anyone understands how it is to feel ugly all the time and how much they hate the image in the mirror.
- "Breathe Me" – Sia. This song deals with repeatedly hurting yourself and having no one else to blame but yourself. The singer asks for someone to be a friend and “hold me, wrap me up, unfold me. I am small and needy, warm me up and breathe me.”
- "Skin and Bones" – Foo Fighters. This song deals about the control of Mr. Self Destruct. The verse goes like this: “I am the voice inside your head and I control you.” Each line is followed by “and I control you.” It talks about things like being: the hate you try to hide; drug down and used up; the lie that you believe; denial, guilt and fear; the pusher and the whore; the need you have for more; the bullet in the gun; the needle in the vein; the truth from which you run; and, the end of all your dreams.
- "Me and Mia" – Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. The theme of this song is trying to gain self-control. It talks about how no one will just let you disappear. It says “Sick to death of my dependence, fighting food to find transcendence, fighting to survive, more dead but more alive.”
- "Battlestar Anorexia" – The Schoolyard Heroes. This song discusses how anorexia will “make your heart explode, melt your teeth and flesh down to the bone.”
- "Anorexic Beauty" – Pulp. This song is about a guy looking at the girl he loves and is torn between her being “an anorexic beauty and underweight goddess,” and “the girl of my nightmares, erotic and skull-faced.”
- "Big Isn’t Beautiful" – King Adora. This person describes how big isn’t beautiful and “Skinny is sexy, Sweet anorexia, Skinny is sexy, Big isn't beautiful.” She also says I want to feel my bones on your bones. It also says she is willing to throw up to get her self-esteem.
- "4st 7 lbs" – Manic Street Preachers. This song is about the person with anorexia being in the middle, eating too much to die and not enough to stay alive. She is also watching her flesh disappearing and seeing her bones appearing through thin skin.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.