Asking for 10 songs about boys growing up is also assuming there are real grown-ups in the music business. Most of these folks on this list are grown up. Well, Axl Rose will never grow up because he didn't learn a thing in kindergarten.
- “Growin' Up” by Bruce Springsteen – Fans of Springsteen have heard The Boss tell many stories about the rough relationship he sometimes had with his father. As this song suggests, Springsteen turned the pivotal events of his life-including growing up-into essential moments of his art.
“Promised Land” by Bruce Springsteen — With "Promised Land," Springsteen asserts his maturity. Is he a boy? No, he's a man, and he believes in a promised land.
- “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce — Croce knew well that the precious time he had with his son was fleeting. We can wish to save time in a bottle, but time is not something that lasts forever. Unlike gift cards, it always expires.
- “That's My Job” by Conway Twitty — We'll bet there are countless single moms that wish they had had children by men that took their roles more seriously. Twitty is singing about the good dads; the ones that see proper child rearing as a job, not just a chore.
- “There Goes My Life” by Kenny Chesney – Chesney knows a little bit what Croce was talking about in "Time in a Bottle." Childhood is over before you know it; Chesney's time sure has moved fast.
- “Never Die Young” by James Taylor — James Taylor nearly died young due to his drug habit. But, this doesn't mean he can't warn others about the dangers of living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse.
- “Sweet Child of Mine” by Guns N' Roses — Isn't it hard to reconcile the ass Axl Rose is, with the sweetness of this track? Well, a man's son can bring out the best in him. However, it'd be scary to call someone like Axl dad.
- “Tough Little Boys” by Harry Chaplin — All little boys think they're tough. Not all of them grow into tough men, though. One supposes Boy George was never referred to as a tough little boy.
- “Hard Earned Smile” by David LaMotte — You ever try and make a tough little boy smile? Some of 'em just don't ever want to give their dad one. But when they do, it's worth it all.
- “Circle Game” by Joni Mitchell — Yes, Joni Mitchell even considered the kid thing back during her more conventional folk phase. This was before her voice got all low from smoking. It's a good thing she didn't sing about sharing smokes with little guys.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.