Losing a friend is something everyone, at some point in life, must come to terms with and these 10 songs about death of a friend are meant to offer comfort or pay tribute to friends lost. We hope they serve as a reminder of how wonderful friends can be, even if they are only with us for a little while.
- Ain’t Wasting Time No More (The Allman Brothers Band, 1972.) Although written about the death of Gregg Allman’s brother, Duane, this musical tribute is fitting for virtually any recent loss. Whether a song about death of a friend, or a song about brothers, this one reminds us all to keep on living.
- Back in Black (AC/DC, 1980.) After the death of Bon Scott, Brian Johnson wrote the lyrics for this song about death of a friend in honor of Bon. In an interview in MoJo published in 2009, Johnson stated the band wanted the song to a celebration of Bon, rather than something morbid or sad.
- Empty Garden (Elton John, 1982.) Written by Elton John about the death of his friend, John Lennon, this is one of many songs about death of a friend that illustrates the void left by great friends who pass.
- Afterimage (Rush, 1984.) Neil Peart, drummer for Rush, lost a dear friend, Robbie Whelan in 1983. This song was a tribute to Robbie, and like many songs about death of a friend, it speaks volumes to the memories of the ones they leave behind.
- Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You? (Stevie Nicks, 1985.) After the death of Eagles member, Joe Walsh's daughter Emma, Stevie Nicks wrote this song in tribute to her dear friend.
- Thinking of You (Sa-Fire, 1988.) With beautiful lyrics, this song tells of the pain, anger, and loneliness that accompanies losing a friend. It was one of the few ballads produced by this dance performer.
- Love is Stronger than Death (The The, 1993.) When it comes to songs about death of a friend, the best songs help us see what we miss, but value what our friends have meant to us. Written during a depressive period after his brother’s death, Matt Johnson reportedly found comfort writing the lyrics for this song.
- No One But You, Only the Good Die Young (Queen, 1997.) Recorded after the death of lead singer, Freddie Mercury, this song laments the loss of those too young to die.
- Betrayed (Avenged Sevenfold, 2005.) The victim of a murderous fan, this song, like so many songs about death of a friend, tells the tale of how Pantera guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell died. Of interesting note, the lyrics tell the tale from varying points of view.
- The Last Song (Foo Fighters, 2005.) At some point, after a friend passes, you have to let go and move on with your own life. This song was Foo Fighter’s “last song” as tribute to the death of friend and Nirvana band mate, Kurt Cobain.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …