Coming up with a list of 10 songs about a job is not a difficult task. Each genre of music has a plethora of songs that are about jobs in some degree. Below are ten of the most popular songs that are written about jobs.
- "Take this Job and Shove it" It only stands to reason that an artist named Johnny Paycheck would have a song titled "Take this Job and Shove it." The song about a man's bitterness toward his job spent two weeks at number one on the country charts.
- "Escape (I need a break)" The rap group "Whodini" had a song titled "Escape" that went on to become one of the best songs about a job. This hip-hop song raps about some poor working stiff who, while on his way to work, spilled coffee on his shirt; works alongside a lazy coworker; and has to deal with a crazy boss.
- "Nine to Five" This popular song about a job was written for the popular film of the same name. Sang by Dolly Pardon, "Nine to Five" was nominated for four Grammy Awards, and was named as the year's best country song.
- "Working on the Highway" Bruce Springsteen wrote and sang this song about a job in 1984, and it still remains popular among his fans today, even though it was not released as one of his singles from the Born in the USA album. At a 1992 concert, Springsteen's mother danced with him on stage toward the end of the song.
- "I've Been Working on the Railroad" One of the most popular folk songs in America, "I've Been Working on the Railroad" makes the "songs about a job" list. In addition to being popular among adults, young children are known to sing the lyrics of this catchy song as well.
- "Piano Man" Billy Joel's first major hit, "Piano Man" is an easy choice as a top ten song about a job. Not only was it a top 25 hit in 1973, it remains one of Joel's most popular songs among his fans. Additionally, the song is loosely based on his time as a piano-lounge singer.
- "Money for Nothing" This popular 1985 hit by the British band Dire Straits tells the story of a working class man watching a music video and commenting on what he sees. The video alone is cool enough to land it on this list.
- "Working at the Car Wash" The number one song on the R&B Billboard charts in 1976, this song about a car wash job was later remade by Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliot.
- "She Works Hard for the Money" Hottie Donna Summers' biggest hit of the 80's made it all the way to number three on the Billboard Chart in 1983. The song's album cover has a photo of Summers in a waitress outfit, looking as hot and beautiful as ever; which is a contributing factor for "She Works Hard for the Money" being a top ten song about a job.
- "Like a Surgeon" Weird Al Yankovic's parody of Madonna's "Like a Virgin" was one of the pop star's more popular songs during the 1980's. Easily the most humorous job song, "Like a Surgeon" is about an intern who barely passed medical school and his struggles at the hospital.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.