These 10 Songs About Leaving For War were penned in different eras, but each one rings true no matter what war you relate it to. Leaving for war and saying goodbye to one's family and friends is often the hardest part of serving in the military.
- "If I Don't Make It Back"–Tracy Lawrence This song is about a soldier going to war, and having a beer with his friends before he goes. A different twist from most songs about leaving for war.
- "Soldier's Last Letter"–Merle Haggard The lyrics are about a letter that the soldier wrote before going to war which is to be sent home if he doesn't make it. It is very honest, and very touching.
- "Wake Me Up When September Ends"–Green Day This song became very popular at the start of the Iraq war. The song is tender and mellow, and the video really pulls at the heart strings.
- "Just A Dream"–Carrie Underwood Looking through the eyes of the girl waiting back home, this is a powerful insight into the perspective of how hard it is on the ones who have to wait back home.
- "Brothers"–Dean Brody A gripping story about a little brother talking to his big brother who is leaving for war. The lyrics "I'll do anything so long as you don't go. But he said, this is what brothers are for", says it all.
- "I'll Be Home For Christmas"–Bing Crosby Made popular in the movie, "White Christmas", it became one of the best songs about leaving for war of all time.
- "Ballad Of The Green Berets"–SSGT Barry Sadler Speaking from a green beret's point of view about the pride in what this unit of special forces endures.
- "We're All Gonna Die"–Country Joe McDonald This song was popular at Woodstock. It is also known as "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag" . A protest song for the Vietnam war.
- "Leaving On A Jet Plane"–Peter, Paul, and Mary This song about leaving for war was written by John Denver is 1966. This was the most popular song ever recorded by Peter, Paul, and Mary.
- "Leaving New York"– Bob Dylan This one covers a soldier's view about not agreeing with the war he is being sent to fight. The lyrics state "I was told to pick my battles. This isn't my war".
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.