10 Songs About Losing A Friend
A collection of masterfully crafted songs characterized by poignant lyrics, heartfelt vocals, and bittersweet stories, these 10 songs about losing a friend features Grammy award winning artists like Warren Zevon and Katie Herzig. Sentimental favorites by legendary artists like John Lennon and Nick Drake, along with memorable rock anthems by Pink Floyd and Better Than Ezra highlight a list of songs that provide a roadmap of the human heart in the wake of loss and help us to remember those who have gone.
- “Desperately Wanting” by Better Than Ezra Written by Better Than Ezra front man Kevin Griffin, this song is reportedly about a fellow pledge brother’s tragic ordeal during their time at Louisiana State University’s Kappa Sigma Fraternity. Poetic lyrics and a powerful backing of guitars made this single from their 1997 album “Friction, Baby” a major hit and proved to be one of their most memorable songs.
- “The Freshman” by The Verve Pipe Front man Brian Vander Ark wrote this song in 1991 about his girlfriend’s abortion and the distance between them that subsequently dooming the relationship. One of the most affecting songs about losing a friend ever to come out of the 1990’s, this moving ballad became The Verve Pipe’s greatest hit.
- “In My Life” by The Beatles Written by the legendary John Lennon, this song is one of the greatest songs about losing a friend ever written and details his childhood and the loss of childhood friends. Inspired by the untimely death of longtime friend and band mate Stuart Sutcliffe at the age of 21, this sentimental classic features famed record producer and musician George Martin playing a Bach-inspired piano solo written by the artist himself.
- “Keep Me in Your Heart” by Warren Zevon Written after he received the news that he was dying from mesothelioma, this heart wrenching song appeared on Warren Zevon’s final album, “The Wind,” and features Zevon at his finest. His impassioned, gritty vocals soar to an emotional score of strings creating what remains, at its heart, Zevon’s swan song to all of the people that he would inevitably leave behind after his death in 2003.
- “The Giant of Illinois” by Andrew Bird An echoing, haunting version of The Handsome Family’s 1998 original, this song tells the story of two friends, the death of one simply referred to as The Giant of Illinois was inspired by the death of the tallest man in history, Robert Wadlow.
- “Blossom” by Nick Drake A light and airy melody from British singer-songwriter Nick Drake, this song is one of Drake’s best and beautifully equates the changing of the season with love and loss. Featuring Drake’s light, raspy vocals and his signature improvisational guitar style, this is arguably one of the best songs about losing a friend every recorded and was featured on a collection of family recordings found after his death.
- “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd Written by Roger Waters and David Gilmour about the breakdown of former band mate Syd Barrett, this emotional anthem is one of the most memorable songs about losing a friend in music history. Featuring Gilmour’s stirring vocals and one of the greatest guitar riffs ever performed, this song highlights the classic 1975 album of the same name.
- “Broken White Line” by Kris Delmhorst A moving ballad by singer-songwriter Kris Delmhorst, this song about love and loss is a vulnerable, deeply personal gem the highlights Delmhorst’s sweet, trembling vocals and features sweeping mandolin by folk artist Sean Staples.
- “My Dear Old Friend” by Patty Griffin A heart-wrenching song that showcases acclaimed singer-songwriter Patty Griffin’s songwriting talents, this endearing plea to an old friend to rekindle a lost relationship is backed by a delicate piano accompaniment and is one of the most tender songs about losing a friend produced in the past decade.
- “Wish You Well” by Katie Herzig Spotlighting Colorado singer-songwriter Katie Kerzig’s charming vocals, as well as her impeccable songwriting talents, this heartwarming song about the drive to move on after a painful loss is delivered in a beautiful whisper by Grammy-winning Herzig. A bittersweet ballad with a shining bright side, “Wish You Well” is one of the best songs about losing a friend produced in recent years.