Here are 10 songs about losing friends for those times when you're blue and needing consolation. Losing a friend is tough, and it's hard to find the words to express how you feel. Maybe these songs about lost friendship can help you put together a mixed tape to tell your friend how much she really means to you.
- "We Used to Be Friends" by the Dandy Warhols. This song was first released as a single in 2003. The Dandy Warhols were a Portland, Oregon, band that formed in 1993. The song is a bittersweet goodbye to an old friend. The singer states, "A long time ago, we used to be friends. But I haven't thought of you lately at all–If ever again a greeting I send to you. Short and sweet is all I intend."
- "Those Were The Days (My Friend)" by Mary Hopkins. Gene Raskin wrote the original English lyrics to "Those Were the Days"; he wrote the words to the music of the Russian song "Dorogoi dlinnoyu". The most famous version of the song was sung by Mark Hopkins in 1968. The song is a tribute to lost youth and the romanticism of days gone by. "Those were the days, my friend–We thought they'd never end–We'd sing and dance forever and a day."
- "Hurt" covered by Johnny Cash, originally written and performed by Trent Reznor. "Hurt" became one of Johnny Cash's last hit releases before his death in 2003. The song is a lament of death and destruction sung by a man nearing the end of his life who is left with nothing but memories and an empire of dirt. "What have I become? My sweetest friend. Everyone I know goes away in the end."
- "So Far Away" covered by Rod Stewart, originally written by Carol King. A classic soft rock song, "So Far Away" was originally recorded on an acoustic guitar by James Taylor in 1971. Then in 1995, Rod Steward covered the song for an album "Tapestry Revisited". The song is about the pain and loneliness of a man who has experienced the loss of his good friend moving far away. "It would be so fine to see your face at my door. Doesn't help to know you're so far away."
- "Seasons in the Sun" by Westlife. "Seasons in the Sun" is the English version of French song "Le Moribond", which had music by Jacques Brel and lyrics by Rod McKuen. It was covered in 1999 by Irish pop group Westlife. In the song, the singer says his final goodbyes to his family and friends.
- "How to Save a Life" by The Fray. "How to Save a Life" was released by The Fray in 1999 as part of their first album. The pop song is widely popular and topped charts for 15 straight weeks. The song originates from the singer's real life experiences with trying to help a troubled teenage boy. "Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend. Somewhere along in the bitterness."
- "I Miss My Friend" by Daryl Whorly. "I Miss My Friend" was released by country music artist Daryl Whorly in July 2002 as part of his second album. The singer laments the loss of his friend and lover. "I miss my friend–The one my heart and soul confided in."
- "Broken" by Seether. Seether released their first grunge album in South Africa in 2000. Easily Seether's most popular song, "Broken" was originally released as part of their first album, and then was re-released after being recorded with Evanescence's Amy Lee. The song is one of longing and loving, of two broken individuals doomed to never connect.
- "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. "Fire and Rain" was written and released by James Taylor in February 1970. The pop song tells the mournful tale of how the singer has lost his friend "Suzanne" and goes on to cover his drug addiction and depression.
- "Say Anything" by Good Charlotte. Good Charlotte is a Maryland rock band named for a children's novel. The group released their first album in the year 2000. In the song, the singer pleads with his friend, and relates the pain of fighting as friendship fails.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Meet Madeline Brewer, Netflix Princess
The Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove beauty discusses fitness and dating.
What to Drink on Labor Day
Seven options to see out the summer with style. And by style we mean a cool buzz.