Want to know 10 songs about love affairs? Songs about love affairs can either be deeply passionate and romantic or painful and cutting, because your lover is having an affair on you. This list of 10 songs about love affairs includes a little of both, but clearly the issue of desire and lust are evident in every recording.
- "Me and Mrs. Jones." The Billy Paul original recording was a number one hit in 1972 and captures all the yearning and the guilt associated with having an affair. The lyrics are simple, but the emotional power is complex.
- "Mr. Brightside." Released by the Killers on their debut album Hot Fuss in 2003, "Mr Brightside" boasts a great guitar riff along with the hurt of knowing your lover is having an affair.
- "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Undoubtedly one of the best Motown songs ever, this aching blues classic has been recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Gladys Knight & the Pips and Creedence Clearwater Revival, among others. But it's the 1968 version by Marvin Gaye that tops them all. Of all the songs about love affairs, this one may be the one that cuts right to the heart of it.
- "Unfaithful." This 2006 Rihanna hit is a rare tale of having affairs from the woman's point of view. She knows she's doing wrong, but can't help herself.
- "Voices Carry." The powerful, yet wounded voice of 'Til Tuesday lead singer Aimee Mann tells the story of a woman whose boyfriend wants her to quiet down about her feelings because another woman "might overhear." Released in 1985, it remains 'Til Tuesday's best-known hit.
- "Take a Letter Maria." A Latin-influence 1969 R&B hit for R.B. Greaves, the song tells of a husband who discovers his wife's infidelity, but admits that his working late so often might be partially to blame. He seems to recover nicely, however, when he takes a new look at his secretary, Maria.
- "Sour Girl." One of the best Stone Temple Pilots songs ever, "Sour Girl" follows the singer's reflections on a love affair that turned, well, sour.
- "House of Cards." A rare straightforward love song from Radiohead, and one that alludes to the illusion that an illicit affair can last.
- "Fooled Around and Fell in Love." A bluesy, soft rock gem from Seventies, this song by guitarist Elvin Bishop featured his backup singer Mickey Thomas on lead vocals. Rock trivia fans can take note that Thomas' performance on this song helped him land the gig of lead singer with Jefferson Starship a couple of years later.
- "If I Were a Boy." Beyonce's 2008 hit from "I am… Sasha Fierce" sticks it to the guys for fooling around and thinking they'll be forgiven.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.