These 10 songs about suicide are from a wide range of artists, with a wide range of methods. Not all songs about suicide are depressing; some offer hope, a message not to go through with it. Other, darker songs about suicide illustrate how the world is just too messed up to go on living in. Take a look at this list of songs about suicide if you're in a dark listening mood.
- "Fade to Black" by Metallica – "Fade to Black" is one of Metallica's darkest songs. That's saying something for a band whose first album was entitled "Kill 'Em All." An epic that begins as a ballad and ends as an intense metal gallop, "Fade to Black" possesses a musical arrangement that mirrors suicidal thoughts, making it the perfect introduction to a list of songs about suicide.
- "Needle in the Hay" by Elliott Smith - Not only is this song about suicide, it was used to soundtrack a suicide attempt. The song is probably most well-known for its appearance in Wes Anderson's "The Royal Tenenbaums," during Luke Wilson's suicide attempt scene. The song is made even sadder by Smith's apparent suicide a few years later.
- "Last Resort" by Papa Roach – "Last Resort" was one of the anthems of the nu-metal late nineties. While it's lyrics were introspective, the bouncy rap-metal music made it more a song for punching someone in the head than thinking about whether to live or die.
- "Can't Stand Losing You" by the Police – Like many of the Police's hits, this song was a lot darker than its title or bouncy melody implied. The single was banned by the BBC due to controversial cover art depicting drummer Stuart Copeland hanging himself. Not just a cute song about lost love, is it?
- "Suicide is Painless" by the Mash – The theme song to the film and TV show "M*A*S*H" was a dark song with a happy melody. It belatedly became a hit in 1980. To this day, most people remember the instrumental break from the TV show, and not the haunting lyrics present making it one of the most memorable songs about suicide.
- "Santa Monica" by Everclear – Another seemingly peppy song, "Santa Monica" is about attempting to commit suicide off of the Santa Monica pier. Like many of these songs about suicide, it was a breakthrough hit. Everclear became popular on the back of a very depressing song.
- "Gloomy Sunday" by many artists - A standard made most popular by Billie Holiday, urban legends had this song spurring a rash of suicides in Hungary. The song has been covered by a range of artists since then, including a UK hit by post-punk pop band the Associates. The Associates' lead singer later committed suicide.
- "Rock N Roll Suicide" by David Bowie – The concluding number of the "Ziggy Stardust" album, this song takes a more humorous tack. Bowie is one of the few who could write songs about suicide with tongue in cheek. Its arrangement is epic while its lyrics are gallows humor.
- "Let's Kill Ourselves" by the Ponys – In this song, suicide is not a desperate act. Instead, it is a punk rock rebellion. Rarely is suicide a celebration, but this song makes it sound like one.
- "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter – The last on the list of songs about suicide is rumored to be about Kurt Cobain's. Like others on the list, its meaning is often misunderstood. It is clearly a dark song, though.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …