When life becomes unbearable, these 10 songs about unhappiness can soothe your ache. Whether you feel lovelorn, lonely or just plain lost, let the misery of these unhappy songs wash over you so you can wallow properly. Everyone deserves to indulge in a little naval-gazing now and then.
- “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” by The Smiths: Hey, you wanted a job and you found a job, and heaven knows you’re miserable now. Songs about unhappiness do not get more miserable than this anthem from the kings of naval-gazing.
- "Tear in my Beer” by Hank Williams: Do you sidle up to the bar and order a tall cold one when your girlfriend’s cheating heart leaves you lonely and miserable? Hank Williams knows how a song about unhappiness can help you let go; after all, as long as you shed tears in an actual beer, you are still a real man.
- “Hurt” by Johnny Cash: Who else but the man in black to bring you a song about unhappiness? Cash’s hurtful tune will teach you that unhappiness is not always so bad. After all, if you can feel the pain, you can still feel.
- “Disarm” by Smashing Pumpkins: Listen to Billy Corrigan croon about injuries to his inner child, and suddenly, your unhappiness will pale in comparison to this song about the depths of misery.
- “The Music or the Misery” by Fall Out Boy: You didn’t think you could have a playlist of ten songs about unhappiness without at least one emo band, right? After all, if you’re listening to so many songs about unhappiness, you may just have to ask yourself, “Which came first, the music or the misery?”
- “Sylvia Plath” by Ryan Adams: A sad song with the world’s best-known suicidal poet in the title? Ryan Adams’ “Sylvia Plath” makes the playlist of ten songs about unhappiness for that alone.
- “Misery” by Maroon 5: When that one person refuses to reach out and comfort you, Maroon 5’s “Misery” is your go-to song about unhappiness. If the mere thought of Adam Levine’s handsome face and millions in records sales makes you even more unhappy, take heart: The “Misery” video depicts him beaten and abused in all sorts of ways.
- "Misery" by Pink: Just because Pink dressed her baby bump in Christmas colors for holiday shopping does not mean the woman can’t croon out a song about unhappiness. If your misery could use some company, let Pink be it. With lyrics like “guess it’s all meant to be, for love to cause me misery,” you will no longer feel alone.
- “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse: If your friends are trying to make you go to rehab over those tears in your beer, it’s time to pull out the ultimate singer for songs about unhappiness, Amy Winehouse. This song about a dysfunctional couple of co-dependents caught up in a vicious cycle of never-ending breakups and reconciliation may just strike a chord.
- “The Same Deep Water as You” by The Cure: No way can you have a playlist of ten songs about unhappiness without at least one tune by The Cure. When Robert Smith whispers that “swimming the same deep water as you is hard,” the knife twists in just the right spot in your heart.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.