While hip-hop is typically viewed as the only worthwhile musical genre to utilize bass, there are these 10 songs with crazy bass across all realms of popular music. This is not to say that we don’t like hip-hop. But on this list, you’re going to find musicians from a lot of different genres who have re-invented the way we hear bass guitar.
- “N.I.B.” by Black Sabbath. The amazing bass solo that kicks this rocking track off positions it in the premiere slot of our top ten songs with crazy bass.
- "Stan" by Eminem. While many words have been written about this collaboration between Eminem and Dido, critics almost always forget to mention the awesome thumping bass line that serves as its backdrop.
- "Straight Outta Compton" by NWA. Hip-hop wouldn’t be what it is today without NWA, and “Straight Outta Compton,” with its crazed bass line, is one of their best songs.
- "Dogs Out" by DMX. A booming bass line that sticks in your mind immediately upon listening, just like magic. That’s what “Dogs Out” is all about.
- “Back to School” by Royal Trux. This is the best song with crazy bass that you’ve never heard. Track it down on the “Singles” collection by this legendary junkie rock band.
- “Bust a Move” by Young MC. Fans of old school hip-hop can never forget the funky bass line on this ‘80s classic by Young MC.
- “Radio” by Rancid. While punk rock is not a medium typically renowned for bass players, Rancid is an exception, and “Radio,” off their “Let’s Go!” album, is our favorite song with crazy bass.
- “Didi Extra” by Les Georges Leningrad. It may only have the same bass line repeated over and over throughout, but it’s so catchy that you don’t mind – even after repeated listens. This is a great track by this Canadian indie outfit.
- “No Fun” by the Stooges. Dave Alexander’s bass work at the end of “No Fun” is indeed insane, putting this rockin’ track by the Stooges on our list of the top ten songs with crazy bass.
- “Higher Ground” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea’s contribution to this funk classic by the Red Hot Chili Peppers rounds out our list of the best songs with crazy bass ever recorded.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …