A funeral is a somber time and these 10 songs for a funeral are equally mournful and celebratory, honoring the lives of those lost. When choosing songs for a funeral it is important to keep in mind the wishes of the deceased and the deceased's family, choosing something in keeping with the personality of the person whose death has brought everyone together. That being said, here are 10 songs for a funeral that will almost always work.
- "Death is Not the End" by Bob Dylan. This song from the era's leading singer-songwriter embodies all that a funeral service should accomplish. It honors the deceased while offering hope for the future. Few songs for a funeral are better suited.
- "Danny Boy" as sung by many artists. This is the first that many think of when considering songs for a funeral. Its mournful melody, whether sung or played on bagpipes, is an emotional catharsis.
- "Amazing Grace" as sung by many artists. Possibly the most beautiful of all spirituals, "Amazing Grace" is often chosen as one of the songs for a funeral. It is especially powerful when sung by a choir.
- "In My Life" by the Beatles. This John Lennon-sung song is the most popular of the Beatles' songs for a funeral. It is perfect for the occasion, especially if the Beatles were loved by the family of the deceased.
- "Mist Covered Mountains," a bagpipe song. One of many songs for a funeral from the bagpiper tradition. Its melody is comforting and ethereal.
- "A Living Prayer" by Alison Krauss. A modern country song, it is beautiful and mournful. Its lyrics make it a good choice among songs for a funeral.
- "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. Another modern-era song, "Wish You Were Here" conveys the emotions of those left behind well. It is popular among modern songs for a funeral.
- "Celtic Song of Farewell," a hymn. This is one of the most often used songs for a funeral recessional. Many Irish Catholic ceremonies are based around this hymn.
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel. This sixties classic is a hopeful choice. Like many songs for a funeral, it has a hymn-like quality.
- "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff. The last of our list of songs for a funeral is from a Jamaican artist. It is a soulful, gospel-tinged song that, too, is mournful and hopeful all at once.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?